Posts made by Deirdre Bonnycastle

So here is a little tale to kick off the idea. My nephew kept a blog for two years about his experience as a new teacher, self published the blog as a book then used it to get a full 4 year scholarship in a PHD program. So who says self advertising doesn't work. LOL

Yes pop up video is similar. Ours might include questions, comments, arrows to focus attention. I'm not involved but I understand the tool is quite simple.

Several medical disciplines such as radiology/patholgy are very visual while surgery is kinesthetic and psychiatry more auditory. Kinesthetic learning needs are best met with simulation.

Who Am I? I'm a faculty developer in the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan. I've been a teacher for 40 years this year.

How do you currently use video in your teaching?

I use video frequently to illustrate examples of good and bad medical teaching. Recently we have been using examples of student clinical performance to teach assessment.

I also occassionally use medical music videos at the beginning of a session to focus attention and bring humour to the session.

Several of my colleagues have started to use annotated video which has interesting implications.

Issues

One of my biggest frustrations is non-compatability between video players. If I ask participants to prewatch videos, I frequently recieve a message that it wouldn't play on their computer. I find myself forced to use U-Tube which is good and bad.