Posts made by Tia Carr Williams

Derek,

I d like to share this document from Kineo, who supply e learning authoring for organisations. I think its relevant, in the light of your comments, because the same issues that apply to lifelong learning are addressed vis a vis aggregation of tools in order to release knowledge silos, that are effectively bottlenecking the organisational knowledge transfer. Sharing knowledge uses the same toolsets to share information around the organisation and future employees who have come from digital classrooms will be all the more adept in engaging in such initiatives. I think my point is that the future of e learning as an evolution, both educationally and organisationally, is inducting a permanency of 'learning as a culture' rather than something that is dispensed with after formal learning comes to an end. All the new social mediums provide us with conduits for 'informal learning' whether we acknowledge it or not.

Ignatia,

That is a brilliant idea..why isn't there a standard profiling for a student's 'learning type'. Im sure such a device would surface many students who have struggled with dyslexia or other learning impediments, such as my son did for some time, before the problem was identified appropriately, whereupon I was able to address his educational needs differently, reducing his stress and anxiety around learning per se.

Whilst computers aren't going to suit all students, just because they are comfortable with other communication devices such as mobile phones with extended capabilities will mean that learning will be adapted to be delivered in 'byte sizes' to enable another kind of educational consumption.

I recently attended an event at Reuters London where a high profile audience deriving from all large institutions and organisations were investigating how to construct such learning and where it is applicable to support standard learning environments and requirements.

Here Steve Besley of General Manager of Education Policy at http://www.lifelonglearning.co.uk/ln06016.htm starts to unravel some of the principles that we need to fully comprehend in addressing learning online.

Think piece 3 offers a fascinating insight into how Human – Computer Interaction (HCI) is changing. The familiar rows of desktop boxes and screens are going and being replaced by a more sophisticated relationship between human and computer, with the user not having to sit in front and the computer increasingly able to react to the needs and even the touch, smell and mood of the user.

'Five trends are detected. The first is ‘usability,’ focusing on what the user needs rather than trying to load more on the computer, a shift from a ‘one size fits all’ design to the ‘ubicomp’ or ubiquitous computer. Secondly, ‘multi modal interaction,’ interaction with computers that’s based on human senses, moods and voice tones, great for when you’ve had a bad day. Thirdly, ‘implicit v explicit interaction,’ moving from the traditional explicit form of interaction of having to sit down in front of a screen to more implicit and less fixed forms of interaction. Fourthly, ‘adaptive and perceptual interface,’ using pressure pads and sensors that respond to the emotional state of the user, which may help to explain some e mails. And fifth, ‘credibility,’ learning how to tell if the computer is telling the truth; no more computer says no perhaps. '

Equally, Becta have done quite a good job at assembling ways to address the student's barriers to learning online by enabling teachers to build confidence with particular skillsets.

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't resist  coming aboard as I was receiving your posts to my mailbox you were all making such valuable and valid comments, Ive decided to join in.

Whilst not a formal educator, I work at desiging online environments that engage creative HCI (Human Computer Interface) for the purpose of driving either social collaboration as in social media or educational development, such as serious games. With the high level of creative tools and multimedia opportunities afforded by Web 2.0 products, everyone has an opportunity to engage in 'creativity' hitherto denied, I will explain elsewhere.

I currently work with a very developed PLE and GLE which I shall discuss the merits of during this conference.  However, I have to comment on the necessity to adapt online environments to address blended learning needs. Each learner has a preference, a style and unequivocally, a motivation. Without the latter, there's no learning. In order to enable 'net learning', there has to be a very accessible learning curve that enables the tools to be deployed. This is the first obstacle to surmount.

Tia Carr Williams

As this is the closing day of our Serious Games/Virtual Worlds event, I would like to thank everyone who participated and everyone who contributed to making this a truly wonderful experience for me and Therese.

We both feel that we have learnt a good deal we didn't know before and met some wonderful new people through the experience.

Certainly, going to Reuters, London, as the guest of Ron Edwards, was a direct bonus from hosting this event and I have to report that it was a fantastic experience. A room filled with earnestly interested top drawer executives, all seeking the solution to a next generation educational environment or deliverable.

In particular, I want to give a shout to www.Guintilabs.com, www.learningguide.co.uk and www.datmedia.co.uk, all of whom have products that will revolutionise online learning. Guintilabs have a click and drag 3d environment creation capability and I encourage those who are interested in using Virtual World environments for a younger audience to check it out. Members of this forum may also be interested in www.movinglearning.com which is happening in both the UK and Holland during June and I will also be attending that event.

Clearly, from what I heard and learnt fron the Reuters event hosted by Ron was that everyone is seriously interested in new technologies as teaching tools which of course means that it begins in the classroom.

Does anyone have any closing thoughts about how they would want to go forward around this topic?

I would also invite anyone who wants to continue the conversation, to join us at www.amodus.org.uk  where we have a Serious Games group.

Much thanks also to Sylvia for inviting us to host and we hope everyone who joined us has found something beneficial to take away.

Tia

Dan,

I would like to thank you for the most interesting trip to CURA, even though I was about to leave for the airport to transit from US to UK for Ron Edward's event at Reuter's tomorrow on mobile futures, I found the environment very well designed. Although I did have one question, why did I need the feather to fly on the Holodeck?

Tia