Posts made by Sylvia Currie

Thanks for the excellent ideas, and teh offer to update the resources from your presentation for SCoPE, Stephanie! This brings us to the best way to organize and hook into SFU resources, and other communities. I'll start thinking out loud about this, using the SCoPE - LIDC connection as an example.

Looking at the technical side of things, here are some advantages of the current SCoPE community environment:
- Resources are available to the public. You don't need to log in to access forums, documents, etc. You do need to log in to contribute to the community, manage interaction, and access tools requiring user input.
- All resources in Moodle have a fairly tidy URL (unlike some software that has mile-long URLS, or sometimes limited ability to link directly to resources)

Given these conditions, it will be easy to link directly from the LIDC website to resources generated through participation in the community. This is better than copying them from one location to another. Also, they can be accessed in context.

Working the other direction -- linking to LIDC resources -- maybe the best way to do this is according to resource type. For example, there may be resources specific to SFU that wouldn't be of general interest to SCoPE members. On the other hand, the LIDC website may have a collection of "how to" resources that would be of general interest for anyone interested in instructional design, appropriate use of multimedia, etc.

Maybe we need a special area (course, in Moodle language) that focuses on SFU work, events, resources, etc. Or I wonder if there is a way to integrate SFU interests directly with other defined areas.

Stephanie's suggestions raise bigger questions (isn't that always the way!)

How do we serve the needs of the SFU community first (as outlined in our project goals), yet at the same time present SCoPE as an inclusive community -- extending community activities and invitations for participation to an international audience.

How do we achieve both?
What are the implications for site design?

As you can see, we need your help in figuring this out! :-)
My head is intact? That's quite a compliment! big grin  I've never come across this head chopping problem before in Moodle!

The help file on uploading images says "the image file will be cropped to a square and resized down to 100x100 pixels". I wonder if the perfectly square image you started with was smaller than that, and the system stretched it out.

We'll figure it out! Thanks for joining us Stephanie and Rod. Keep looking for more problems!

Welcome everyone! If you found your way to our community pilot discussion then that means we're making progress on setting up this site :-)  This is our first scheduled discussion at SCoPE. Up until now we've had some behind-the-scenes activity, and as you can see the community site development work is very much in progress. Hopefully it always will be!

We invite you to spend the next 10 days helping us to plan the next steps for SCoPE. Are we happy with the name SCoPE? Do you have ideas for seminar topics, events, polls, etc? Also, through your participation we hope to gather some suggestions for the layout of the community environment, and to test out some of the tools here to prepare for our launch.

So let's get started! You're arriving here with various backgrounds and interests, and some of you may barely know what this community project is all about. Probably the best first step to discuss SCoPE next steps is to introduce yourselves, and fire away with your questions. No question is too small or too obvious.

Thanks for joining us! Together we'll do great things in SCoPE!

Sylvia Currie
Community Coordinator

My head is intact? That's quite a compliment! big grin  I've never come across this head chopping problem before in Moodle!

The help file on uploading images says "the image file will be cropped to a square and resized down to 100x100 pixels". I wonder if the perfectly square image you started with was smaller than that, and the system stretched it out.

We'll figure it out! Thanks for joining us Stephanie and Rod. Keep looking for more problems!

Welcome everyone! If you found your way to our community pilot discussion then that means we're making progress on setting up this site :-)  This is our first scheduled discussion at SCoPE. Up until now we've had some behind-the-scenes activity, and as you can see the community site development work is very much in progress. Hopefully it always will be!

We invite you to spend the next 10 days helping us to plan the next steps for SCoPE. Are we happy with the name SCoPE? Do you have ideas for seminar topics, events, polls, etc? Also, through your participation we hope to gather some suggestions for the layout of the community environment, and to test out some of the tools here to prepare for our launch.

So let's get started! You're arriving here with various backgrounds and interests, and some of you may barely know what this community project is all about. Probably the best first step to discuss SCoPE next steps is to introduce yourselves, and fire away with your questions. No question is too small or too obvious.

Thanks for joining us! Together we'll do great things in SCoPE!

Sylvia Currie
Community Coordinator