Posts made by Sylvia Currie

Paul's idea to gather together and showcase education research is fabulous. It deserves a special area in SCoPE, and ties into so many other resources and communites, such as the national SAGE for Learning project, the ALN WebCentre, etc (there are so many) branching out to more opportunities for exchange and collaboration.

Where to begin, where to begin!
  • Begin gathering research project URLs. This could be accomplished through del.icio.us, forum posts, etc.
  • Decide what additional information we want to collect (who, what, results, province, country, etc)
  • Decide how to best organize the resources. Ultimately we could maintain this in del.icio.us and feed it into SCoPE. The glossary tool serves many purposes as well, and can be used as a repository. All members can contribute and comment on items.
  • Invite researchers to share their work and research results through moderated discussions.
  • Showcase work through SCoPE newsletters, website, etc.
This is an exciting idea and it needs further exploration. What are some ways you see this working?
Just do it! I like (and will take) that advice, Cindy!

Your comment "the more open we are, the more people we will get" is what we have to keep in mind with the site design. I was thinking in the details, such as listing campus events that wouldn't be of interest to people outside of SFU. I remember joining an "eLearning Institute" at a new england university that was intended for an international audience, but it always felt like I was walking the hallways of the university where it was hosted. That's the kind of feeling I'd like to avoid. But like Cindy and Liz say, we can just do it! :-)

Just do it! I like (and will take) that advice, Cindy!

Your comment "the more open we are, the more people we will get" is what we have to keep in mind with the site design. I was thinking in the details, such as listing campus events that wouldn't be of interest to people outside of SFU. I remember joining an "eLearning Institute" at a new england university that was intended for an international audience, but it always felt like I was walking the hallways of the university where it was hosted. That's the kind of feeling I'd like to avoid. But like Cindy and Liz say, we can just do it! :-)

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas and offering feedback about the next steps for SCoPE. I also received a number of private messages which have been helpful as well. The main purpose of this 10-day discussion was to bring you into the community and make some progress on important details such as  the community name, layout, and possible discussion topics and other activities. I'd say we've definitely made headway!

Over the next while we'll be packing up and moving to a production server and we'll also continue to work on the site. Meanwhile, feel free to continue to contribute here! I don't know exactly when the move will be and I'd hate to see us sit idle while we're waiting. In particular, if you have questions and suggestions about navigation it would be great to hear from you.

And if you don't have time participate now, don't worry...we'll have many opportunities to talk about SCoPE while it is taking shape. (I've sensed a wee bit of guilt from some people smile )

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas and offering feedback about the next steps for SCoPE. I also received a number of private messages which have been helpful as well. The main purpose of this 10-day discussion was to bring you into the community and make some progress on important details such as  the community name, layout, and possible discussion topics and other activities. I'd say we've definitely made headway!

Over the next while we'll be packing up and moving to a production server and we'll also continue to work on the site. Meanwhile, feel free to continue to contribute here! I don't know exactly when the move will be and I'd hate to see us sit idle while we're waiting. In particular, if you have questions and suggestions about navigation it would be great to hear from you.

And if you don't have time participate now, don't worry...we'll have many opportunities to talk about SCoPE while it is taking shape. (I've sensed a wee bit of guilt from some people smile )