Posts made by Therese Weel

Had a look - great stuff Tia.

I have seen this one before - An in-depth look at media literacy commissioned by the MacArthur Foundation

Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture in the 21st Century - PDF

This one is new to me - A look at the social media tools and their value. Googled for an audio for this but came up empty handed.

We Media - Chris Willis Keynote ASIDIC 2007

Here are a few items - a social media starfish - showing a recent landscape of social media created by Darren Barefoot, a popular Vancouver blogger.

http://scobleizer.com/2007/11/02/social-media-starfish/

Darren Barefoot Social media Starfish

Next are examples of teachers using social media tools. These are examples of wiki-mashups created using wikispaces and other social media tools.
  1. Westwood Wikispaces
    Excellent use of wiki and social media technology by westwood school - looks like they are having fun doing it too. First suggested by David Brear in our last knowschools session

2. releasethehounds ยป Wikispace example using embeded 2.0 tool

Release the Hounds is by Chris Harbeck, a grade 8 math teacher from Winnipeg who raised the bar with this presentation at the k12 online conference http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=167
  3. Dean Shareski - Creating your web 2.0 Classroom

Dean Shareski from Moose Jaw Saskachewan shows how to create a web 2.0 digital classroom, inspired and based on a presentation done by Drew Murphy of Gibsons, BC also at the k12 online conference.

Release the hounds indeed!

Nellie Deutsch just added this message to the SCoPE Page Flake.

She raises a good point - with the proliferation of social media and it's inherent distraction. How do we navigate social media it to get the most value from it?

Topic: Lost in cyberspace
Hi everyone, I seem to be lost in cyberspace. While the layout of "Social Media in Education" is extremely organized. I seem to be in need of guidance as to how to navigate to benefit from the session. I would appreciate a hand. Thank you.
Thanks for the article link heather

I don't enjoy being connected 24/7 to everyone and everything either. I like exploring technology and looking at it's value. Facebook has excellent features and its user base is learning how to use them.

The snippet that caught my eye...

...wanting to get beneath the skin of this technology and exploring it for academic use. "I'm very interested in it as a potential way for students working together remotely rather than having to be in a physical space."
I'm Therese.

Shortly after I graduated in the late 80's, I worked for a company that made instructional and commercial interactive video/touch screen applications. Our most popular project was a drug and alcohol awareness interactive video for teens.

Things have changed since then.

I went on to work as an analyst and traveling consultant for 16 years. I took a breather to spruce up the old homestead and have a look at how the world was using technology. Once I saw Small pieces loosely joined I was smitten. I became interested in peer production, social collaboration and the creation of value through web enabled connectivity.

These days I work at the Center For Educational Technology at SFU. I help people implement and use new technology and find it a a challenge to keep abreast of the changes. It takes time and skill to produce a great video or run a successful collaborative project. I'm always interested in how we can use technology in simple ways and get good value for our time spent.

In this session I'll be soaking up your responses like a sponge, working behind the scenes to add them to our wiki and bookmarks. We have linked to a fine collection of social tools in the seminar description. We will be using them throughout this discussion and are happy to add more at your suggestion.

Blog: http://datadesigns.ca
SL: Tree Sewell

1. Yahoo! Teachers

2. Blogging Teachers

3. Media Infusion | PBS

4. PBS Teachers . learning.now | PBS

Thank you for these links Tia.

I hadn't seen the Yahoo for teachers site it intrigues me - it seems to cross reference grade level and American state education standards with the content. Very handy - and a great tool for teachers in American schools. I'd love to see a truly public, self constructing version of this - the environment seems a little regimented to me.

I hadn't seen the media infusion site from PBS - nice. An opportunity to showcase a teacher who is using media in the classroom.

I've reposted the links for the PBS sites- the original links went to somewhere in 404 neverland - I hope these work better