Posts made by Therese Weel

cool thanks Jeffrey

Excellent opportunity for a meetup

Northern Voice is a two-day, non-profit personal blogging and social media conference that's being held at the Forestry Sciences Centre, 2424 Main Mall, UBC main campus, Vancouver, Canada on February 22-23, 2008. This is the 4th annual incarnation of this event, see the 2005, 2006 and 2007 websites for previous information.

I enjoyed the session immensely. Good to have so many people participating - it was a real group effort. I'm still in awe of those terrific presentations by Jason Toal and Brian Lamb. - Missed Brian's due to technical issues - someone else's - I'm so glad I was able to view the recording. I'll be watching them again - they were interesting and well done.

Quiet in here, no doubt my fellow BC'ers are out enjoying a big snow fall that will melt by Monday morning - we hope!

T

Jeffery,

It is early days yet for tagging and the semantic web.

Shocking admission. I had a delicious account for a year-ish before I started using it. Didn't feel comfortable putting all my bookmarks in public view. Plus I wasn't sure about which social bookmarking site I should use. I learned del.icio.us has the most users and has the most valuable information for my purposes. I imported my bookmarks as unshared bookmarks and will share and tag them - someday!

Emma I haven't seen too many students using del.icio.us here either. Wandering around the lab I see web browsers email and facebook. I appreciate your comments about your experiences with tagging and social bookmarking - thanks for sharing them.
Hello Janet

I live in the Vancouver BC area. I don't teach, other than facilitating the occasional online session. In the past couple of years I have enjoyed expanding my horizons and developing distance friendships.

I am interested in virtual organizations and collaborating to accomplish something such as working virtually on a project, marketing a product or finding solutions to social issues. I have been involved in several projects and over the years it has been good to see some of these projects grow and come to fruition. The learning curve along the way has been even more valuable.

I look forward to the insights that will be offered in this session.

Therese

How do you handle this? Are you naturally outgoing (I think of the marketing or consulting "mode"), or is there some other way you begin to engage people online who you do not know?

Jeffrey

This was new to me as well. I have been an "IT" person since the 80's. I started investigating the net with gusto in late 2003 I was amazed by the human element. The net itself is pretty simple - a website is simply a fancy file on a hard drive somewhere. Add human beings to the equation and it takes on a life of its own.

it is important to be authentic so that when you do skype or meet that person you maintain the trust you have built up in an online relationship. Many people meet their spouses online - having a text relationship can help them determine if they are compatible.

OCLC Report Oct 2007
Last month I had a look at this report on Sharing Privacy and Trust in Our Network World. It is the result of a formal study of online users in several countries. People are becoming more open to interacting with each other on line.

It is 180ish pages long but has lots of charts and diagrams - it gave me a feel for how people use the net these days.