Posts made by Therese Weel

http://www.youtube.com/user/ulrikerenate#g/c/EAACD259739F61FC

I've been checking out his work - inspired me to do some writing yesterday----------

We create culture - Facebook collects it

Facebook's social context ads collect data on our likes and scans our content for  keywords.  This information is used to generate the ads on the right hand side of  the facebook page.   Google has been showing us context sensitive ads for many years now.

The difference in Facebook  is, that your context sensitive ads are being shown to  your network  with the intention of generating activity within your social group.  Along with the ad,  are the names of  your friends who have clicked the like button or generated some sort of social action, demonstrating an engagement with the item being promoted.  The Facebook equivalent of word of mouth advertising.

Social Networks are more valuable when there is activity along the nodes. Activity indicates emotional resonance, you have been moved  to take some action.  It is like participating in a conversation.  If you are not activley engaged you will listen quietly,  when something resonates with you, you will interject with a comment or ask a question.

Knowing what is able to trigger activity  in a social network is valuable.

A friend connection indicates you have a relationship.  The nature of that relationship can be determined by the information you have provided.   The  people in your network may be colleages, school chums or family. The aggregate of  what you and your friends value along with all the other information you have shared paints a picture of your shared culture.

What facebook is collecting is our values.   What do we value enough to like, follow a link, post on a wall or mention in our status messages.   The information can be used to track the changes in our cultural value systems.  As our culture changes so does our behavior.  According to  Peter Kruse, a German professor and psychologist, there is a time  lag  between  our culture as expressed by our values and our behavior.  So if my friends and I impulsively agree that an iced mocha looks yummy.  We are likely to follow up with a purchase someday.

We know that social networks can have powerful effect.   Valdis Krebs' case studies explore the role of our social networks in influencing  smoking cessation, obesity and divorce.    He has shown that Social Network Analysis  can  uncloak  the connections in the 911 terrorist plot and analyze the relationship dynamics of large companies.

We create culture.    Facebook collects it.

Imagine what we could do with it.

video doesn't embed in moodle - here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/ulrikerenate#p/u/11/L4PUqTpB-I0

Partial notes from the video:

The most interesting part of reducing complexity is culture.  It is not the individual brain but it is already the sum of the individual brains.   When I`m looking at the individual brain.  I`m talking more or less abot the limbic system...

All these values ... are in the value system of the limbic system.  This is absolutely  unconscious more or less and gives me the ability to decide without rational analysis.  I am in a very complex situation,  I am doing something and I`m doing this on the basis of all the intuitive knowledge of my own life...

The cultural value system is stabilizing the decision making process, not of one person but of groups of persons.  This is what the culture is all about.  Culture has the task to stabilizing people enough to  be able to interact, to be able to cooperate...

There are these underlying streams of value systems that are fare more stable.  So when I'm ready to measure the changing value system in the culture.  I'm two or three years ahead of behavior.  If you can get access to this data you can reduce complexity in the sense of anticipation not just the moment you are looking at...

Measuring the dynamics of the value system of groups.  Culture is nothing more than a word for this.  So when we are sharing value systems - we are sharing the culture.

We are able to understand each other.
Hello everyone,

I'll state the obvious --> Spreadsheets!

Why, they are easy and everyone knows how to use them. People can extract the data related to their jobs. They understand their information best and can interpret the data for themselves.

The human being with their intent, ability to conceptualize and understanding of the context is probably the best tool out there.

I was an analyst for *many* years primarily working on govt financial systems and ERP systems for mid sized cities.

Back in the day Toad was my favorite database analytics tool

http://www.toadworld.com/
http://www.quest.com/downloads/

P.S.

Thanks for putting on this conference.

I expect many people are lurking and like me need to pick and choose their opportunities to make a meaningful contribution.

Therese

Emma Duke-Williams wrote,

A very good point; and, the other aspect of that is how, as a group, do you make the choice? First to initiate it? Person with the loudest voice? Person who's the most persuasive? The most interoperable tool, so that as many as possible can use their favourite client etc., ?

The early adopters are the people, and places to keep your eye on.

Scope is a great source for learning about collaborative tools, particularly because we roll up our collective sleeves and use them.

Loudness and persuasive dialogue are turn-offs. Great tools are easy, fun, provides value and are useful which includes interoperability.

As a group the crowd decides. In my experience we may start with a tool - and if we find it isn't working for us we'll move to another. For example if traffic on skype makes it unusable - we move our discussion elsewhere.

Thank you for these references Sylvia.

I like the way Dave Pollard has laid out the attributes of each in his matrix.
It has given me something to think about this morning.

It's helpful to be aware of these distinctions. Collaboration is very much a "we" process. Its fun and helps us to accomplish significantly more that we could do as a group of coordinated individuals. Better ideas and more aha moments.

Much depends on the the relationships you develop with the other people. Being authentic, truthful and respectful of others aids the process. True collaboration is a rare bird.

I interact virtually with people quite a bit. We don't collaborate in the true sense of the word very often but when we do it's great fun. Sometimes we are cooperating, sometimes we are coordinating, mostly we're just sending signals back and forth. Hovering between these interactions is fine. Each has it's value, time and place.

Good tools are fun, interesting and as easy to use as turning on a hair dryer.

I use skype alot - the ability to pass links back and forth is fabulous.
When the communication gets confusing - it's time for a voice chat.

Delicious is still my favorite KM tool and Twitter is my signaling system at the moment. Both are easy and useful because the people and projects I want to keep in touch with use them. Other tools may be better but the if the rest of the gang's not there. What good is it?

Google wave - not a favorite. I do appreciate the tour though.
If we keep kissing frogs - eventually we'll find another prince.

Therese

Came in to take another look at Google Wave today.

Delighted to see how the few people involved have gathered together and the chaordic craziness of the interactions. The word chaordic came to mind immediately.

The mix of chaos and order is often described as a harmonious coexistence displaying characteristics of both, with neither chaotic nor ordered behavior dominating. Some hold that nature is largely organized in such a manner; in particular, living organisms and the evolutionary process by which they arose are often described as chaordic in nature.

Coming back to read the scope forum I'm inspired by what Colby Stuart wrote,

This act of visualisation can aid others in putting the pieces of the puzzle together - if done well. It can also help with the sheer boredom of listening to others drone on endlessly - but I think that might be called doodling.

I'm seeing more value in waves but still struggling with the user interface. So indulge me as I take poetic license, freeing my imagination to provide a visual outside the constraints of blogs, wikis, mindmaps and other currently used interfaces for collaboration.

Perhaps someday someone will create this interface for waves.

Dolphins, whales, brightly colored fish and all things aquatic. Swimming amongst the waves chattering, diving, playing with each other. The waves generate more waves in all directions some waves get bigger some clash with each other, others dissipate. You, the individual, glide, dive and leap amid the waves. As you leap up you see other waves around you. As you dive down you get a close view of who and what is in the wave as well as the quality of the dialogue - how it ebbs and flows. You find a tasty tidbit here an interesting idea over there. Spying some familiar friends you leap off into another wave dropping your pearls of wisdom and chattering away as you swim on to new adventures.

Is this idea out of the box of our current capabilities?

- Well, a girl can dream can't she?

Therese