Posts made by Janet Salmons

Q & A and discussion about Chapters 2 and 3.

The first section of Cases in Online Interview Research contains 2 cases and critiques of studies conducted using data collected with interviews in social media sites. In the first, "Blog Like an Egyptian," Sally Bishai used interviews as well as questionairres and blog post analysis for her study. In the second chapter, "Stranger in a Strange Land," Allison Deegan used interviews conducted with Facebook chat and email.(You met Allison Deegan in the webinar.)

• What questions, comments or thoughts do you have about these very different cases-- or the commentary on them included in the book? 
  • After reading these cases and commentaries, what thoughts do you have about data collection using social media?

One question in the E-Interview Framework (Salmons, 2012) is about researcher’s motivations for collecting data through online interviews and the rationale for this choice in the context of the overall study. Two key factors are: 1) will the study use data collected through online interviews to investigate real-world, face-to-face phenomena? or 2) will the study use data collected through online interviews to investigate online phenomena? The researcher’s motivation to use data collected in online interviews has implications for ICT selection, timing, when a new tool must be introduced before the actual interview, as well as for items to include in the informed consent agreement. See the attached overview and worksheet and think your design choices.

Please share your ideas so we can compare, contrast and discuss!

Hello and welcome to everyone who has posted and all who are reading the forum and trying to find the time to post! I look forward to hearing more about your research. Use the "Part 1: Framework" thread to start sharing your ideas, questions and dilemmas. I also created a thread where you can post links to y our own sites, articles, or other relevant resources.

I hope you'll be able to log on for the initial webinar (whether in real time or to the recording). It will be 2/21/12 at 12 PST-- log in at: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.187122BE1330F682CFBDD4C3A712C3&sid=727. We'll discuss planning and design issues using the E-Interview Research Framework. 

Thanks to Wendy, Anne and Nellie for joining in-- I know other contributors will be participating throughout the event. They will share their ideas and experiences with interview research conducted using a variety of tools.

See you online tomorrow!

Janet