Posts made by Janet Salmons

Jeffrey,

You are right, defining concepts is very hard. I like your definition and for some researchers, it is on track. However, as I discovered in my background research-- reading all things interview-research related I could get my hands on-- a lot of interviewers don't use "questions." Structured and some semi-structured interviews rely on questions. Other semi-structured interview researchers would describe "discussion themes." Post-modern, life story/oral history, active interviewers and others use discussion themes as well as unstructured approaches that include questions/themes generated by the research participants or questions/themes that emerge from within the interview. I wanted a definition that includes any style of interview....and in the book discuss ways technology choices relate to potential for styles from structured to unstructured.

When I started this adventure I wasn't sure how I could distinguish the kinds of interviews that primarily interest me-- synchronous, with "rich" verbal and visual elements-- from the email interviews discussed by most of the articles/books that have talked about "e-interviews" or " internet interviewing."

For example, a c. 2009 book from Sage-- the same publisher for my book-- is called Online Interviewing. Yet the authors assume that whether the interview is synchronous or asynchronous, it will be text only. They say, "while the features of synchronous communications are dynamic and multi-threaded, they do not allow for a rich form of social interaction" (p. 27). They further comment that online interviews move interaction with interviewees from "orality to textuality" (p. 28). So you can see, their take on "online interviewing" is quite different from mine, since I see "orality" very much present in the tools we now have for communicating online. But how would the casual reader see the distinction?

Janet

James, N., & Busher, H. (2006). Credibility, authenticity and voice: dilemmas in online interviewing. Qualitative Research, 6(3), 403-420.

Moira,

I agree with Emma as noted below, "listener" is more appropos than "lurker" here wink. Congratulations on making the big decision to move forward with a doctorate. Research in 3D immersive worlds sounds intriguing. As mentioned, I am in the process of setting up an event in the Readers' Garden in 2nd Life, after this event ends. (Stay tuned for details on twitter/einterview or www.vision2lead.com)

Look forward to interacting with you when you choose to participate!

Janet