Posts made by Janet Salmons

Following on the post about ethical research online, I want to launch a discussion about sampling and identity. Whenever I discuss the idea of conducting sampling activities online, and then interviewing people online, inevitably the question arises: "how do you know the research participants are who they say they are?"

After all, on the Internet dogs are free to mingle unnoticed...

Internet dogs

What do you think? Are you concerned with identity of research participants, and what steps do you, would you take to ensure that you are selecting and interviewing the desired participants?

©2002 The New Yorker Collection from cartoonbank.com. All Rights Reserved

Hello everyone,

I look forward to seeing you in this session. Vidyo Corocall is a desktop videoconferencing system with many features of use to researchers and educators generally. Great thanks to Martin Harvey for making this session possible. Please see the attached document for minimum technical requirements to participate.

If you are following along in the book, I will be discussing points covered in Chapters 6 and 7 about alignment with interview type, preparing for and conducting an interview.

In the book I distinguish between video calls and videoconferencing. Video call products include Skype or call features connected with Yahoo or Google instant messaging. Videoconferencing, whether in a room or on a computer, generally refers to a more sophisticated system with additional features. Many of the same interview principles apply.

See you there! (Really, if you have a webcam we'll see you!)

Janet

I look forward to meeting with you in Elluminate on Monday-- and to sharing with anyone who views the archived version.

For those who are following along in the book, Elluminate is what I call a "multi-channel meeting space." Other products of this kind are WebEx and Breeze; free options are possible with DimDim and WizIQ.

I will discuss some points from Chapters 6 and 7 about preparing for and conducting an interview in a multi-channel meeting space. I will focus on and demonstrate some of the unique options for visual research covered in Chapter 8.

See you there!

Janet