Posts made by Janet Salmons

The sample population's access and comfort with the technology is a factor to consider. Initial unfamilarity is not insurmountable though. You can use the selected technology for the getting acquainted introduction phase of the research, so they have a chance to play with it and learn how it works. Or, you can arrange the participant to be interviewed in a setting (school, office etc) where someone else can log the computer into the meeting or videoconference.

In addition to the considerations of the sample population's access and preferences, you need to think about the kind of data you need in order to answer your research questions. In Nellie's example, she describes a situation where she really wanted the verbal responses through audio, and the choice of SKYPE made sense given cost factors as compared with telephone.

However, if you watched the Elluminate session, or participate/watch the session in Vidyo tomorrow, you see another kind of motivation for interviewing online: collection of visual data in addition to aural data. Visual data can include observation of the interviewee-- non-verbals, emotion, clothing and appearance etc.-- that are taken for granted as part of the impression the interviewer makes when an interview is face to face. Or visuals can include diagrams, graphics, artifacts, photos or media.

As we'll see (I hope!) in the session tomorrow, the kinds of visuals in a videoconference are quite different than in a meeting space.

Janet

Good points- 2nd Life versus VLE. The issue, for educators or researchers is: when to use what option? When is the virtual sensory environment a conducive, inviting place -- or distracting and too hard to manage?

I find I prefer 2nd Life when audio is used, but I know a lot of people want text only (less revealing of the person behind the avatar.)

I am in the process of confirming a book event in 2nd Life so stay tuned!

Janet