Posts made by Mary Burgess

I'm very glad you've achieved that! 

Your method fits well with the metaphor of instructor as DJ or weaver - as the subject matter expert, the instructor provide a variety of resources, some great, some not as great, along with the vital component that ties those resources together for students and makes them meaningful, context. 

Hilarious, I hadn't heard of that Steve, thanks for sharing! 

Agreed that combining licenses can make remixing very complicated. Our project is about to embark on the phase in which we work on adaptations, some of which will include remixes. I recently found a couple of videos I thought were pretty decent about licensing, and the second of the two addresses the remix issue. 

Part One:

Part Two:

More on licenses next week!

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in the discussions this week. We've had some good conversation about the benefits (cost savings to students, abiltiy to adapt materials for instructors) and challenges (the time and effort adaptation takes, licensing complications) of using open materials. There was also some great enthusiasm for the promise of open resources. You've all helped to continue to drive me to keep working hard on our open textbook project at BCcampus knowing there are lots of faculty out there who really want this paradigm to work!

Stay tuned for next week's topic on licensing with Sylvia and I'll see you in week 3 for a discussion about individual and institutional readiness for a move to openness. 

How ready do you feel you are to adopt an open textbook? Are there ambiguities you're unsure of that would need resolution before you could move forward? Do you need support from others at your institution to adopt? If so, what kind of support? 

It's also totally legitimate to say "I don't know if I'm ready because I don't know what I need to consider"!