Posts made by Mary Burgess

Now that we've finished up the final week of the workshop, I'd like to take a minute to thank you all for participating! We had some great discussions around the value of open resources and how they might change your practice as educators. We also looked at some of the barriers to adoption, specifically the difficulty finding resources in your subject areas and the time it takes to adapt resources. Later when we talked about individual and institutional readiness it was really interesting to hear your opinions about institutional resources and culture and how they factor into your decision to use open resources. 
I was inspired by so many of you. It came as no surprise that you are dedicated to creating robust learning experiences for your students, but I am always heartened to be reminded of that commitment. 
I'd love to hear from any of you who have feedback for us about this workshop. We're going to be leaving it up and available to anyone who would like to use it so please feel free to direct anyone you know to our site. The workshop itself is licensed CC-BY, so you're welcome to take the materials and customize them as you see fit. 
Again, my thanks for your contributions to this learning community and I wish you all the best in your future open endeavours!! I would love to hear about how your adoption and adaptations efforts are going, so please stay in touch!
Mary

In answer to your question about whether public funds could be used to create an open text that both public and private institutions could use, it's definitely a yes, if the right CC license was chosen. If the work was licensed CC-BY-NC (non commercial), then the for-profit schools would not be able to use it. 

Ideally the work would be co-created and adopted widely across the province, so the largest number of students could benefit, as well as those out of province.