Posts made by Nicholas Bowskill

Hi Ila, 

I think ethics is a really important point. I've done a number of interviews over Skype for research. There may be issues in how you prepare for these interviews as well as how you conduct them. For example, one case I had required obtaining phone or email contact details to organise the skype interview. Some students gave their mobile phone numbers so there are ethical issues in storing and using that personal information. Then there are ethical issues in how many times you contact them before they might see it as being a nuisance. I store all that information on record to protect everyone involved.

When you organise a skype interview I start by reading a statement setting out the purpose, duration and structure of the interview and I tell them how the data will be transcribed and stored and who will have access to it. I then provide them with contact details verbally and by email/SMS afterwards so they know who to contact if they have any issues over the way the research is being conducted.

Only once that's been done do I actually do the interview. After that its just like a phone call (plus or minus any pictures). There are a whole other set of ethical issues raised when you don't know the interviewee but I'll save that for another time maybe. 

Nick

University of Glasgow

Hi Alice, I wouldn't worry too much. In fact it sounds like you've done quite a lot. An ebook is just a file in a different format. At the end of the day whether its a pdf or whatever its still just another file. 

Interesting to hear about hypercard after all these years and when you think like that are we really returning to computer based learning materials and multimedia? It feels a bit like deja vu or that I should go dig out a copy of Ambron and Hooper's book from the 80s on design with hypercard. 

I imagine once we're over the novelty of the formats it'll be a return to hypermedia or linear text n pictures. 

Nick

Barbara, I just wouldn't get into bed with Apple's arrangements. They're control freaks and you can easily get around that. There are applications out there for converting web sites, rss feeds and the whole gammut of content into e-book formats. You can also go to Amazon publisher and they'll convert it all for you and put it into their store. You'll be better doing it via Amazon than a specific manufacturers site even if it is Apple.

There's also things like Calibre software for converting from one ebook format to another and for creating ebooks from scratch. They can even be saved in pdf, epub or mobi (or all 3) so that they can be read on any device.

When you create and post to Amazon I think you give away a good chunk of the price but you set that price in the first place. Plus you'll get one of the most popular shop windows there is. In addition, Amazon won't kick back your book like Apple might. You can publish whatever you like whenever you like for whatever price you like.

There's other options too but I've gone on long enough. Just don't be phased by all that iStuff gloss and hype or it'll cost you long term.

Nick

Makes a great case for lectures doesn't it? I hear educators rave about social media and informal learning but they often overlook the value, pleasure and stimulation of someone giving you a tour of the field. Video of it adds flexibility, helps reflection and is equally useful but I love going to hear a good lecture and its a really social time. Ah the heady days of attending lectures!

Just dropping into this seminar. I didn't actually think it would be a topic that would catch my attention but once again I've found myself aware of how little I know and how much can be done with video. One point on the length and watchability -  what about a summary of the longer stuff? Also how do you see the difference between audio and video here? I ask becuase if its a video of an interview or lecture etc I often find I play it in the background like an audio podcast. It occurs to me that an audio summary might raise questions or summarise the video. It might even act as a guide specifying whereabouts in the video that key points are raised - like a contents section for the video perhaps. Just my penny's worth in passing. ;-)