Posts made by Meg Goodine

We’ve been experimenting (slowly and cautiously) with Mahara at Kwantlen. Some of the challenges we are facing is that we don’t really know what the requirements are yet. It’s well documented that eportfolios require thoughtful integration and significant course/program redesign to be successful but most faculty are reluctant to invest this time if we can’t guarantee that the tool or system will be supported.

As part of some research I was doing, I created a portfolio in Mahara and one in Wordpress to get a sense of the differences. I think both work well. Mahara has more system tools such as group functionality and the ability to submit portfolios to a “tutor” for assessment. It is also evolving close integration with Moodle, which we also use. I understand that they are working on a way to submit “views” or pages from Mahara to Moodle for assessment so that students don’t have to duplicate effort. The newest version of Mahara also allows the export to a standalone HTML zip file which is handy.

So from a system standpoint there may be advantages to dedicated applications like Mahara for those looking for an integrated system--but we don’t know if we are yet. I think Wordpress or other blogging tools offer more individual freedom and control. If we really want students to own their portfolios, this is a really important piece.

I am trying to move us from the dabbling stage to a more formal evaluation phase where pilot participants start to identify the key tasks for their projects and develop evaluation plans so we can see how well Mahara really does meet these emerging needs (or if there really are emerging needs).
For those interested in a look at Mahara, see: https://cranberry.kwantlen.ca/mahara/view/view.php?id=515 (there’s a link there to the WordPress version).

Thanks for the opportunity to hear what others are doing in this area.