Posts made by Meg Goodine

Hi Andrea

Thanks for a great presentation and for answering my follow up questions. I would really appreciate a look at your rubric so I can share it with the group I mentioned who are considering a CPR pilot here at KPU.

Regards,

Meg

Hi Derek

Grateful for your comments (and that someone other than my project supervisor [and my mom] would take the time to look into my report). You ask about:
>>the difference in the level of technical skill needed?
- From my perspective, I would predict that there would be little difference in the amount of technical support required for novice or timid users for either system. Those happy to tinker would work either out without much trouble.
>>Did you have other options for presentation in Mahara?*
- You can select the number of columns (1-5) and to set column widths. The theme is currently set by the administrator but I suspect that more themes will become available, and ideally, a way for users to control their own theme. WordPress definitely has a big advantage in the number and quality of themes available—being a very novice WordPress user, I don’t really know to what extent users can modify or add their own images to an existing theme.
>>And my final question: what makes this an e-portfolio. Is it the surrounding comment to your formal paper.*
If you mean my own examples, I think what makes it an eportfolio is that I can bring forward or highlight current projects quite easily, and in this way Mahara makes this mixing and matching of artifacts into different “views” or pages quite easy. I’m by no means an experienced user of WordPress so I can’t really compare this yet. I suspect it is also easy to do there once you know how.
>>Is this enough to warrant another tool?*
- Judging by the number of institutions who have developed and still choose to develop their own custom tools, I would say that it is still early days and we should expect to see lots of different dedicated and multipurpose tools come forward and fade away. I think most of us in the ed tech area have learned a great deal from our experiences with learning/course managements systems and (hope) we will have more realistic expectations from eportfolio tools and systems.