Posts made by Richard Schwier

Yes, this is part of Apple's new strategy.  In an earlier post, you'll see that Scott Leslie raises some concerns about the proprietary and exclusive nature of some of the features, and the fact that you have to meet all of Apple's standards in order to offer your product on iTunes.  But it is still an interesting approach, isn't it.  Makes it easy for consumers who have already drunk the Apple Kool-aid.

Okay, let's get down to it after Scott's great session yesterday.  What are your plans for creating an e-book or e-pub?  Let's get some ideas together for some great contributions to our own literature.  I don't care what it is about, but why not jump in and try something/  I'm betting almost every one of us has a good idea for a publication that has been rattling around for awhile, and waiting for an excuse to be created.

This isn't a contract:  you know that you can walk away from anything you say.  But what are your ideas for a publication, and what would it look like?  Especially, what would the affordances of e-publishing add to what you do?

Dave Wiley and Cable Green -- how can you lose?  My favourite message in the artile is that education is fundamentally about sharing.  I couldn't agree more, and I hope the e-book/e-pub interest translates into a bunch of free and available material for people.  I think educators everywhere can lead this movement.  The cost of an e-reader isn't much if you can put hundresd of books on one for free.

What an inspiring post, Susanne!  We so often face the same kinds of challenges, although in varying degrees, and your story reminds me that we have to be thoughtful, patient, and focused on the learner's needs to find solutions that may be right in front of us.  I love how you created a cozy space for learning, as distraction free as you could make it, and then threw in the considerable challenge of making reading a puzzle to be solved.  I'm so pleased to hear your grandchild is becoming a voracious reader and that you found the trigger that he needed to learn how to read in the first place.