Posts made by Richard Schwier

I know what you mean, Jeffrey. The whole idea of being continually refreshed and seeing new things at every visit seems to be a fundamental characteristic of a great museum. I'm hoping that by including a lot of first-person stories and a rich collection of artefacts and descriptions, this project will provide the same kind of experience. Of course, you'll have to fid your own retired manager to bring along ! :-)
Thanks, Juanita, for this reminder of what it means to enter a space with the hope of having a "WOW" experience. That's good to keep in mind, as well as the notion of providing a lot of diverse experiences for users. If we concentrated on one type of material, we might be focused, but we might also be boring!

And the pocket money.... hmmmm.... maybe we can sell Bob Gagné tee shirts! :-)
Just so we don't lose the good ideas in a different thread, could I ask this simple question:

Who are people who have a story to tell us about the history of educational technology?

Also, we would welcome you to gather any of these stories you can and contribute them. This is a good place to start, so feel free to add a story here if you have one, or you can gather one for the project.
Excellent, observation and suggestion, Alice. You're quite right, of course, that the louder voices are often the ones heard, and whatever we call history gets shaped around their ideas.

I'm also attracted to the "day in the life" and hidden gems that we can discover.

So, bring 'em on! We're soon going to open up a wiki as a temporary storage space for items, and it will be a place where you can gather these stories and add them to the collection.

Thanks!
Barbara, these are excellent additions... and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about Ted Nelson or Alan Kay earlier. Thanks for adding them. Your post reminds me that there is already a lot of information available on some of these scholars, and providing links may be an excellent way to augment the material we can gather in-person.