Posts made by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

Dear Nik,
Thanks for this Youtube and for being the first "male" to get a video to us.

The message is worthy and well said. Even though it is a script being read, the video comes across as constructive and the intention feels positive. I feel like I know you better than before -- that is, just by texts -- which we have written on Scope before. Thanks for being brave.

I don't know why I have been unable to load my two videos onto Scope. At first I had to deal with the fact that my camera checks out but the logitec program does not seem to connect to it and now I have to have a tech in to examine my usb port. However I was able to use my colleague's computer at work and after setting it up, I did two videos, one today and one two days ago.

I have them sitting on my desktop but can't download them -- as I need to find the "click to add video" on the Scope facebook which does not appear anywhere or maybe does not exist.

I tried to joing the Scope facebook group, but maybe I'm a member now, but I don't think so -- and I don't think the sign up recognized me.

I repeated my attempts to join a few times. I did see the site and I saw the video of Sylvie and some others there -- so I think I was on it.

If anyone could help me with posting my video on the scope group, I will put them online.

I don't like the idea of putting them on my own facebook but I see there is a picture of a camera on my own site. I'm hestiant to put this experiement out there -- for all time and prosperity, but I will. I don't want to use Youtube for this exercise as I see it for our group and myself as learning, but I do want to use Youtube professionally with art therapy simulation videos eventually.

Thanks for sharing Nik and all the others.
Dear Jesai,
I only wish that I really could make more progress in teaching with technology with all the blessings, skills and wonderful contacts I have already online and off. I don't feel unstoppable -- in fact -- just the opposite, Jesai -- but that does not really surprise me. In Canada most people who teach post-secondary seem to be on a tenure track -- that has never been the case with me. The good part is that I can take various contracts at various universities/colleges -- and that is what I have done over the past 4 years. However in the fields of dance/movement therapy, art therapy, and health psychology, there needs to be a lot more political good will developed and continued quality research support. On the American Dance/Movement Therapy Listserv, it is clear that many therapists making strides and work diligently towards more public and professional teaching and PR. There are so many therapies nowadays and many people still have not heard of what Dance/Movement Therapy, Art Therapy or Health Psychology are about.

Regarding use of video, in terms of Health Psychology, I've seen no videos in this area yet. With art therapy, I've seen one professional Youtube that was really amazing -- where children's drawings showed what happened to their communities in war. I know that there are many other digital videos that are sitting with people -- like myself -- but they are not out there for various reasons. In terms of Dance/Movement therapy, I've seen three very good quality Youtubes, and 6 films, total. Theses fields are not that integrated into the world of Clinical/counselling psychology, but it is slowly happening.

The "upside" is that there are getting to be greater numbers of trained professionals who are wading into technology now and who appreciate the potential of making and distributing videos for teaching/learning and PR purposes.

On a personal note, when I used Skype and Marratech with my students from U of L in a Health Psychology course I was teaching, it was a first for all that actually did it with me. They used webcams. The students appreciated the opportunity and enjoyed the "humanizing aspect".

BTW, I really think that Nellie and Sylvie were super in their webcams and they are inspirational. Now if I could only get my connection repaired -- breakdowns are one of the minor but disruptive glitches of technology for me. I will promise to keep my future posts short and hopefully at a video at some point. Jo Ann

I am Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers, R. Psych. (AB) in private practice and working contracts in teaching/educational development

What is your criteria for teaching and learning based on your discipline and your prefered teaching style?
I’m a psychologist (teach various psychology subjects using LMS – like WebCT and Moodle), and art therapist (various art therapy traditionally as a teacher, but as a student I have studied art therapy online) (like all the digital and art making videos), and as a dance/movement therapist (ADTR), I’m excited about more use of videos.

What practices do you employ?

I’m still developing my skills. Right now I have been attempting to get my webcam to work (it used to). I recently presented a Power Point on Art Therapies and Technology. Professionals in my areas are very excited about any “camera” work that can be distributed for learning purposes.

How do you experience the learning moment as teacher or student within the context of online learning?
I get excited. Most students are really positive to learning the content of the subjects I've been fortunate to teach and I challenge myself to keep learning more.

If you were a panellist in such a teleconference, what would you say?

I think that camera skills improve with practice and exposure – like dancing – practice, practice, practice. I think with practice I will be more comfortable with being on webcams and with making and distributing Youtube videos. As a panellist I might get rather self-conscious, but I would proceed anyway.

What is your experience of being in front of the camera?
I used to do a group work and research work on camera and had varied experiences, mostly good. These days,I feel okay in doing demos for the work that I do, especially videos of work with clients and demo-volunteers as I think that the camera demonstrations are important for sharing and teaching. Lately I have did some demo videos as a distant education student (not for massive distribution on Youtube or for my colleagues). My son and I did demos in art therapy. As well, I recently made some videos with some clients and myself that were used in teaching in an inclass context. I really appreciated and loved recent videos that other professionals did that I saw on Youtubes. They were inspiring. 

How do you feel when you see yourself on video?
Self-conscious about what I say and do, but okay. I feel I want to get it "right".. hmm... and there probably is only better.

What are the challenges for you in being a really effective online teacher/facilitator?

Having time to do what I want to do, Costs to donate more time and to teach takes away from my hours in clinical work, continued development of technical skill, using attractive instructional design that is well chosen for the material and learners.

What’s holding you back?
More time, money, clear objectives, engaging more with peers of similar interests, and projects with defined objectives.

What skills would you like to develop as far as online delivery goes?
Ease of delivery for online camera use and good practices.

Hi Nellie,
I agree with the importance of developing critical reflection. Learners need to have the skills to evaluate what they learn and to write about it; that takes time and practice. I think these are improved by taking the time to write.

Evaluations of self learning can incorporate the reflective process to one's own learning. It would be good if we all took time to ask ourselves the essence of what we are learning. This might help learners (all of us) develop a sense of how to help ourselves and others. The evaluation's benefit -- to what purpose -- perhaps, mainly to improve recognition of what is actually learned and be credited by self and sometimes others.
Hi,
Glad to see some familiar and some new people joining this exciting Scope Conference. Jo Ann here ...
In the past 5years I've been a regular e-learner in formal learning and informal ways. This topic has given me some ideas and I'm in for the full meal that, in my experience, is always a real deal (thanks to all the wonderful contributors).

I'm wading in slowly with more national and international involvements in informal teaching; I'm also a full time clinical psychologist, art therapist and dance/movement therapist.

Mostly I'm now interested in lifelong learning and teaching, informally and formally. Evaluation -- and portfolios that mean something, interest me. I just completed a graduate diploma in distance education and technology at Athabasca University. I already feel the challenges in introducing new informal learning about technology and teaching enhancement as I prepare for a presentation in technology and the expressive arts therapies.
Jo Ann