Posts made by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

Hi Everyone,
I'm a Frequent-SCoPE-Explorer and I'm interested in all the comments made so far in the introductions. I have been a participant (interviewed) in online interviewing for research and had very different experiences. I have also done many of the questionaires online for students and professionals.

My favourite experience as an interviewee was where the questions were clear and the interview was also somewhat open to anything I might contribute to the subject area.
  • Why are you interested in synchronous online interviews? - I'm interested in supervision and helping student's design research and also my own lifetime learning.
  • What are you most curious, concerned or intrigued about in regard to collecting data through online interviews? - How students are guided, how committees that approve the research are informed.
  • Have you ever conducted an online interview or participated in one? - I've participated in two.
  • If you are designing or carrying out research, tell us about your area of research interest. I'm not at the present time, although I've participated in f-to-f interviewing research five times for phenomenological research.
  • What do you hope to learn in or gain from this seminar? - Nuances of the field as it is unfolding.

Dear Sylvia and All SCoPE members,

Appologies for length -- but I'm excited about this example of international work. I do think that joining both national and international networks of educators, that could explore and probe into new fronties via SCoPE topics, has an exciting feel. Regarding international online teaching and technology, the list could probably be endless.
I writing about a suggestion here -- helping SCoPE members become expert educational podcast/video makers. These media production could be developed to teach on mass through educational online videos -- and these would in turn become part of a reservoir -- available to people in open access systems around the world.

Here are a few thoughts about the posible expansion of use of technology in one project -- Amarok Society, a Canadian Charity.

Recently I had the great pleasure to meet the Munro family -- who I met online first. Althought Tanyss Munro is a principle from BC, Canada, she and her family spent two years teaching the poorest people of Bangladesh. They are in my mind -- heroic. To me, they are so inspiring educators who bring hope. I hope I will be learning and participating in their work at some level for a long time.

When I mentioned to Tanyss Munro, the mother of this family, that I thought the use of technology could be explored more -- online podcasts or videos made by educators and learners who like to teach, I thought that the reservoir could be amazing and expand teaching to these Bangladesh teachers. I thought these learning opportunities could be multiplied to many countries. As well, technology and educators could help the "teachers that are the mothers who teach other mothers and children, to learn more extensive English and Math -- and to learn quickly, because you can play back many times.

I really like the model that the Munro family is using in the Amorak project, -- multiplying teachers through teaching mothers to be teachers and, then, to have them teach children. Even peer teaching (tutoring) begins to happen. For example an bright 11 year old girl who lives in a "hovel" of a place in the poorest slums of Bangladesh, reached a certain level and began to teach others.

For those who want to know more about this Canadian Charity but international project, the Amarok Society is at
http://amaroksociety.ning.com/profiles/message/listInbox

Hi Sylvia and all SCoPE Adventurers.
I like the questions and will answer briefly.
  1. What have you liked about SCoPE -- I like the fact that I can participate when I have time, but back off when I just don't have the time. I like the fact that there are many ideas shared freely. I feel somewhat discouraged that I don't get to apply more skill building -- but it is not a criticism of the activities, just my own and other external pulls that take my time.
  2. What would you change? -- I really like the format and even the platform sees okay to me. However, I would like to see more international involvement -- if possible. I would like to learn more about application and projects that are working models for others to follow.
  3. What are your ideas for future activities? I would like to see more entry layers addressed -- like consciously offering tiers of learning which helps through scaffolding. For example, introducing beginner skill building of pod casts, video insertions that don't take forever to download (like mine did recently). On ther other hand, another tier of learning could be having people who are budding experts (if not vintage) in an area in which the SCoPE group would be interested. Of course, SCoPE affords lurkers and keeners alike. I like Nellies's WeqQuest idea -- and she, for example might lead a forum or a section of a forum in that area.
Jo Ann