Posts made by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

Hi Minhaaj,
I think that the online courses in many fields are still developing, although they are more advanced in distance education and in some more traditional areas. In one of the fields I am interested in developing -- dance/movement therapy online -- it is going to take time. Over the past six years, one of the things I do is teach to dance/movement therapy to international students who come to Calgary,Canada for intensive four week trainings in accredited courses that they can use to apply to the American Dance Therapy Association. I have discussed with several of them about having several of their courses online and that that would take time, but that it is possible. The American Dance Therapy Association is interested in this -- but so far have only promoted a few continuing education online. I also have assisted students working on projects and thesis work while in their own homeland or elsewhere through the advantages of technology. This was only possible for me to do as I learned more about e-learning and my confidence grew. I suspect it will be the case with others. I imagine the pathway for e-learning can be a mix of informal and formal trainings and courses for many students and then perhaps, over time it becomes more formal. How will we deal with numbers if we don't have the mix? There are so many Canadian and international students that want to learn.
Jo Ann

Hi Guadalupe,
In your virtual high school you mentioned some very good reasons that people could choose DE. As a person who continues to be curious about and to examine how people become life -long learners and lifelong contributers, I think that high school students (adults and teens) who have good experiences will likely to continue online learning. I am encouraged by some of the accessibility work in Canada and the future possibilities. Online learning can equalize more -- or at least create some sense of fairness. In the various population groups, including those with diverse health conditions and some special needs, are you collecting data on what works for your students. Do you have some research or are you doing online evaluations? I know that all these applied e-learning situations take time to set up, but I think research data can be more easily collected from students who are already online. This may be another advantage of e-learning. Jo Ann
Hi Peter,
Great to read your postings and hear your perspectives.

I am just at an edge of a vision -- seeing how important taking "action" can be at Pan Canadian and international e-learning platforms within various applied health fields. For example, I can see how some mobile phones/laptops/LMS could assist with mediated health applications in many countries. Health psychology, "health and arts in medicine", and Health training over e-learning platforms will assist communication.

I'm using e-learning broadly and in an inclusive way to mean distance education, enhanced learning possibilities through technology, and systems that interface interdisciplinary functional and educational organizations.

I'm curious that students I am teaching or meeting at conferences, are very interesting in the potentials of increasing connections and knowings through organized e-learning -- distance education, online conferences (such as this one) and continuing education courses. Even in Dance/Movement therapy people have just started to see the potential and relevance.

I hope the opportunities to network about e-learning continue to expand in a purposeful way -- as I see in this conference. Actions that have many people giving feedback quickly, can help with corrective factors that could assist change. Empirical studies from the field(s) could stimulate relevant and more immediate information about implications of actions. Through e-learning -- speed can increase. Web 2.0 assists networking with people of similar interests and opens to critical responses from those who might disagree. Research that can be taken from applied actions and assist change and possibly allow for fields to develop that have been held back. E-learning has great potential

Jo Ann

Hi Rory and others,
This is an exciting time for pan-Canadian e-learning efforts. Introducing my self -- I'm a Registered Psychologist in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in private practice, and I specialize in dance/movement therapy (ADTR) and art therapy (RCAT), as well as health psychology, cognitive/behavioural psychology, and trauma therapies. As well, I teach through contracts. Presently I am contracted to teach for Campus Alberta Applied Psychology, with the University of Lethbridge. I'm continuing to study distance education and technology through Athabasca University's Graduate Diploma in Distance Education and Technology (GDDET).

Your post indicated that you are wondering what research or actions we have been taking. I fit the category of "actions", although I have done other kinds of research in the past, not related to DE.

First of all I believe that education and training are very helpful for instructors who want to promote online learning and I have taken the action of further studying. I do some traditional teaching, but see so many advantages to expanding access through DE online.

Secondly, recently an action I have taking includes adding both Skype and Marratech (Webconferencing) to the Health Psychology Course that I am presently teaching. I would not likely have done this action without my DE education.

Observations to date: The response from students about adding the technology that specifically facilitate varied communication at a distance has been welcomed by the students. I hope to do some data collection in my present course, asking students and a basic list of suggestions in this pilot use of the first two technology additions. The students who are presently learning Health Psychology are familiar with online forums. I hope to add more technology slowly as I teach various sections. I think the technology must be tailored to facilitate the learning and the students' need to know technology when they are working in their fields of interest. Jo Ann