Posts made by caren levine

Greetings! I am glad to see this topic and happy to jump in.

I've been blogging since 2006. I started a couple of blogs that related to different aspects of my work - one as an educator, another as someone interested in technology stewardship, particularly in communities of practice.

Both of those blogs are more labors of love and are not directly job-related, but were created mostly as a space for me to think out loud. One blog has lain fallow for awhile. The other, I do post, but part of my "personal learning plan" for this year is to do so more regularly and to dig a little deeper into things that I'd like to explore. I totally related to Sylvia's comment, by the way, of having a pile of drafts in wordpress!

I co-blog at another work-related blog. And we use blogs to support specific projects, like our "social media boot camps."

It is also worth mentioning that I read - or perhaps more accurately - scan a number of blogs regularly.

I also use twitter, both as a listening post for my own professional/personal learning and to share resources that might be of interest to others.

Things I have been thinking about lately and would like to explore more:
  • blogs as a means of connecting and interacting in "loosely coupled" communities of practice
  • blogging as an educational / learning activity - either as part of the curriculum or as a way of setting up a network/community of learners in formal and informal learning situations
  • blogs as a way of engaging different layers of an educational community - learners, faculty, administrators, parents, outside community members, people who might be looking to connect to the school in some way, etc.
  • Based on the above, I'm wondering, what are implications for design, facilitation, opportunities for engagement?
Thanks for the chance to think out loud!

Caren
I enjoyed the interview very much - fun to hear voices and it was a great interview. Plus, I liked the way that you integrated audio, Glenn. Something to think about - can you say a little about the tools that you used to do this?

It was great to hear more about SCoPE's history. I knew bits and pieces and this was a good way of bringing it together for me.

Items that made impressions on me (in no particular order):
  • the openness of the community - people can pop in and out (like, um, me), and as a result, there is a sense of expandable community
  • how Sylvia models community stewardship - in terms of facilitation techniques, institutional history
  • Sylvia's observations on how members model good participation techniques - and how those techniques are often adapted by other members
  • the ways in which Sylvia taps into community talent
Howdy!

I have a wave account and I signed up for the google group, but I'm missing how to jump onto the SCoPE group wave. Perhaps a screen shot or two might help? I've joined others in the past, but I think I've done it from direct invites.

Feeling a bit like I'm missing the mayonnaise jar in the fridge which is probably right under my nose, :)

Many thanks for your continued assistance!

Caren
I am looking forward to this seminar :) I have participated in other SCoPE seminars to various degrees. I have extra invites if anyone needs them. I have played a bit with google wave and have been looking for opportunities to increase my proficiency. So glad to be here to learn more from you and the rest of the community.

Caren