Posts made by Nick Kearney

Hello
This is very interesting, we are currently working on something similiar, though not with teachers, so please forgive me if this is somewhat off-topic in terms of context. I suspect though that there may be overlap.
We are working with small and medium size companies (officially less then 250 employees in European definitions though in reality few are larger than 50). Previous research indicated that in this context learning is mostly informal, they dont go on courses, and much of this informal learning exhibits incipient CoP characteristics. So we are trying out the CoP model as a framework of facilitating and supporting the learning processes that takes place.
It isnt easy, one of the issues (which may be a difference with the teacher context Therese describes) is that these learners are largely unconscious of themselves as learners, and their view is that they dont have time for training. So our first hurdle is choosing the right vocabulary to get them interested in participating. Another issue has to do with their expectations about sharing; here we have a vicious circle, once they share they see the value, but until they share they don't. So they are sceptical about getting involved, "Why should I share my secrets ?", they say.
It seems to me - though we havent got to the point where we can say anything clear about this - is that there are values issues here, relating to the perceptions of competition and cooperation of potential participants. It may be that the educational world "understands" cooperation in ways that the business world does not. (Kimble and Hildreth make interesting observations about this, in relation to the CoP concept in business contexts)
At present we are in the process of building /identifying CoPs in various contexts (all in Tourism) in 7 European countries. If people feel its relevant I will report further later. Meanwhile I would like to ask about resistances, passive or active, that people have encountered to the idea of a virtual community.
All the best to all
Nick