Posts made by Nick Kearney

Thanks from me too (silver) for that tour, Margaret, I had explored Active Worlds before but found the exhibitions rather dry. I found it more fun running along the great wall over the green hills near the entrance space with someone who befriended me. (It was like losing oneself in tellytubby land - marvellous, though it needs some rabbits!!!).
This time was much more fruitful, and as much fun, I could have played for hours with that gene machine, and it was great to see things functioning rather than stills.
And for me, as someone with a slow connection, it was great to see what second life must be like for others, it seems to me that difference is very important. Digital divides, anyone?
Nick
Hello,
My name is Nick Kearney. I work at Florida Education Centre in Valencia, Spain. One of my jobs involves coordinating the use of technology for learning in the different areas of education we work in. I am currently exploring the educational potential of MUVEs, which includes a lot of stumbling around in Second Life!!  I'm looking forward to sharing impressions here.
All the best
Nick
To me this is the key, I played devil's advocate earlier, and I think many of the the advantages Richard mentions are non-trivial in that they perhaps push ease of use to the point where uptake is much more likely.
However this ease of use I think points to the potential for doing things that are really different from the "jumped-up cassette" vision of podcasts. Bronwyn's mention of what Gilly Salmon is doing at Leicester was very interesting, it seems to me that the immediacy inherent in that approach (which is related to the ease of use) is very important. To me it suggests the possibility of podcasts as a kind of extended reflective conversation...need to think more about that though, it's late in this corner of the woods!!
Hello,
I work in a cooperative in Valencia Spain. We are active in most areas of learning. I run the language school and coordinate the use of ICT for learning throughout the organization.
I have to admit that podcasting to me sounds like new skin for the old ceremony. In language learning (hybrid) we have been providing sound files for a very long time. I remember providing "sound files" on cassette for students to listen to in their cars and on the bus as far back as the early 90s. I wonder what the difference is between those files and podcasts, leaving aside the issue of greater ease of manipulation. They were equally portable, and gave people the capacity to fit study into "dead" spaces in their day. Then as now, some found them useful, others were irritated because the context in which they listened often made it hard to take notes. Others felt they were making great use of their time, but on examination it became evident they hadn't listened as hard as they thought they had.
It appears to me that a percentage of people respond very well to the use of sound files, but that many others find that their attention drifts, especially when listening in contexts where other visual stimuli can distract. This begs the question: are podcasts enough on their own or do we need other accompanying media in order to make the most of them? I say this especially in the context of the review/refresher system Richard mentions.
It occurs to me that the nature of the podcast may have advantages for learning processes that focus on repetition and that, at present, while we are living through the relative novelty of the Ipod, they may have important motivational value. I wonder how long that will last.
It is important as well to bear in mind the advantages for those who have troubles, of whatever kind, with text. Perhaps the key advantage of the podcast, more than portability, has to do with accessibility.
All the best
Nick