Posts made by Nick Kearney

I don't think you own more than a part of your identity; your perception of your identity, the rest is endlessly negotiated with others, all those who know you. They don't need to steal it, they already own a part of it!!
Reputation is a subset of identity and is even more outside your control.
For example, you may feel you have defined part of your identity in this forum by the photo/image you choose, and feel that you control that. But my interpretation of the image you have chosen, and of your reason for choosing to portray your self in that way is equally or more important in the definition of your identity in this forum.
And this post is my identity, and your reaction to it will chan
ge my identity in this context.
Ask any hermit:)
Best
Nick
Hi Janet, and everyone,
I am late, I was stuck in the middle of a river in (very) rural Mexico while you were having the session, so I will have to catch up first. I was visiting rural multi-grade schools exploring ways they use and/or could use technologies. Collaboration is part of the furniture in this context, and there's a great potential, if the infrastructure challenge can be sorted out (a big if).
I live and work mostly in Europe, based in Valencia, Spain, where I work in a education cooperative, integrating technology and learning in a wide range of sectors. I have been working with a colleague recently on dialogue in online learning, I am interested to see the use of the term here, how it is used and how it is understood in different contexts. But I need to catch up first, so I will be lurking for a little while yet.
Best
Nick Kearney
Not sure we need to throw PLE out the window. But it seems to me to be a concept rather than a tool, and we need to insist on thinking about it in those terms. It isnt a question of designing or finding or implementing a PLE, because each of us already have one, whether we like it or not!!

The conversation about PLEs is interesting because of the way it reveals and makes explicit the ways we use the loose aggregation of tools that we use to manage our learning, and how we behave within that combination of tools, and in that sense it gives insight. And that conversation may throw up useful combinations of tools that we can adopt for ourselves.

Unfortunately the terminology we use is problematic. It seems to me that in this context (education, learning, Internet) there is frequently a process in which a term is coined which originally is provocative and emphasises the way the new idea differs from previous ideas by similarity, usually the term changes one element or adds something. For example, e-learning or Web 2.0. and now P (as opposed to V) LE.  For a while the terms are useful,  but then through misunderstandings, the desire to commoditise them, or simple overuse they become reified. It seems to me that the term PLE frames the discussion in unhelpful ways, we are too used to seeing LEs of any kind as tools. Perhaps it is the term PLE that should be ditched, but it wont be, it is too late. What we can do is focus the discussion on uses and behaviours rather than on the idea of a PLE as a unified tool.

The other assumption that derives from the term that the PLE is online, or on a computer. Some of my work happens in environments (contexts if you like!!) into which it would not be sensible for me to take a computer. I take notes on paper, and that is part of my learning. I am still looking for ways to integrate that easily with the stuff on my computer ( I would welcome suggestions), but it isnt just a question of uploading, there are ways in which I think about that material, the way I record it, the way I process it that seem to me different to the ways I work on screen. It seems to me that that integration isnt just a technological issue. Emma mentioned baths and beaches, perhaps the way we think, turn over ideas in those contexts is different. How do you integrate that kind of learning with the rest?