Posts made by Lynn Anderson

Hi Dick,

Thanks for bringing everyone's attention to the possible application of OpenMeeting. The following links provide many more names of webconferencing platforms, including free and open-source:

http://directory.fsf.org/
http://www.thinkofit.com/webconf/index.htm

Hi Nellie,
As I was writing the chapter that described some of the technologies that were being used, I was very worried that much would change before the book was even published, and some has. For example, we speculated on how Google Wave may be applied in future online conferences and as you know, Google Wave is no more.

I think a wikibook would be a great way to stay on top of the technologies used to promote and deliver online conferences. A wikibook would also be a great way to share experiences. As you mentioned, feedback from organizers and participants would be very helpful to future conference organizers. One of the chapters in our book argues for more innovative approaches to conference evaluation, and we provide a couple of examples. Both of these examples promoted sharing the evaluation results amongst all stakeholders - organizers, presenters and participants. If these results were openly posted on conference websites, or in a wikibook - imagine what we could all learn!

As much as I really like this concept, I am a little concerned about the process of a wikibook. I am not up-to-speed on this. For example, can anyone contribute, or would the original author have some control over the contributions? My concern is that the book would become advertising space for all of the companies that are now providing networking platforms.

1984!!!!!! Thanks so much for bringing Lisa and her company to our attention.

The other reason that it is difficult to do searches on "online conferences" is that there are so many sites that use this phrase that really aren't related. It's a lot of sifting and trying of various search words and phrases.

Interesting what you said about assumptions - that came up in our last CIDER session which discussed online course development in China. There is definitely a lot to be learned from what is happening in other parts of the world.
Hi Nellie,
I agree that detailed case studies would be interesting, but in this case, we really wanted to get an overall look at what was happening in this rapidly evolving field. Consequently, we decided to draw upon interviews with over a dozen successful online conference organizers in order to come up with themes that emerged regarding best practices for the design and delivery of online conferences.

The book does offer some brief case studies that contrast organizational models used in online conferences. The models vary in the level of interaction and flexibility that is supported.

There are also a variety of (very brief) conference descriptions provided in chapter 7. There are some dual-mode conferences included in these. However, I would love to hear of more. I've started a discussion on this with the hopes that we can share some of our own experiences of online conferences. Please jump in - also feel free to describe some of your not-so-exceptional experiences as we can also learn from mistakes.
Hi Tony,
Glad to hear that the book and the presentation gave you food for thought.
It sounds like you found some great sources of support for the organization and delivery of the e/merge conferences. I have to admit that I did not come across this one in my searches. May be due to the fact that you were based in South Africa. If I had known about it, I definitely would have bugged you for an interview.
Also, I looked up Group Jazz, as this was a name I was unfamiliar with. Looks like another company offering comprehensive support for the organization and delivery of online conferences. I am guessing that we will see many more popping up in the near future. Thanks for bringing this one to our attention.