Posts made by Lynn Anderson

During the live presentation in Elluminate, several questions were posed that we didn't have an opportunity to discuss. I would like to resurrect some of the questions here and get your feedback.

The first was:
How does having all of the recordings and content available online impact the level of participation during the event?

I've often wondered this myself. In the CIDER sessions that I organize, we consistantly have an audience that ranges from 40 - 75, and, of course,many more view the archived presentations. In a synchronous environment, it is not always beneficial to have a very large audience as it reduces the opportunities for interaction. So the question is then - does it matter how large the live audience is?

Thoughts?

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated in the live Elluminate session and the forum. The discussions provided some great ‘food for thought’ as we move forward in the delivery of online conferences and search for ways to combine place based and online conferences. In addition, some practical advice and links to valuable resources were shared - such as links to new communication and presentation software, and links to companies that provide support for the organization and delivery of online conferences.

We look forward to seeing you all in future online conferences and encourage you to contact us if you have any further questions regarding the book.

Sincerely,

Lynn Anderson

lynnlo@cogeco.ca

and

Terry Anderson

terrya@athabascau.ca

Hi Paul, I agree with your comment about the use of video, particularly in platforms like Elluminate. I usually limit the presenters use of video in Elluminate to just prior to the presentation. One presenter from the Open University did give us a very short walking tour of his offices which was fun in that it was new, but really, it's just offices.

The best use of video in conferences that I have heard of has been by the Supporting Deaf People Online Conference. Video was used to enable signing between deaf people and the professionals who support them. The conference delegates were from all over the world. It's a great example of how online conferencing provides accessibility to conferences and connects people who otherwise would not be able to meet.
Hi Paul,

I have attended dual-mode sessions in Second Life, and I have to say, that I felt more connected to both the live audience and the virtual audience. I'll speculate on why here:
  1. The moderator was great! She was not dedicated to just the virtual room. She introduced the speaker to both audiences and took questions from both equally.
  2. I was able to see the presenter. This can be done one of two ways: 1. Stream the live event into SL. However, I believe there may be some lag. 2. Provide two screens in SL - one with the presenters picture, one with the ppt.
  3. I believe (not sure) that the action in SL was streamed into the live conference room.
  4. Greater social presence - I felt more connected to the virtual audience. Perhaps, this feeling of connection was projected to the live audience as well, or perhaps, I no longer needed to feel connected to the live audience.
Sorry, I know this is purely speculation based on personal experience, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.