Posts made by Christine Horgan

Hello:

To address Jo Ann's question: "Scope participants find their way here -- somehow -- and it would be interesting to hear how they (we) got here and what keeps them coming back, if anything. "

I came across SCoPE only becasue the director of our curriculum department mentioned it. Most of my on-line education/PD resources have come to me via others. What keeps me coming back? community, confimation that the challenges and opportunities in my institution are not much different from others, an opportunity to walk the walk and look after my own PD needs, the opportunity to lurk if time or energy prevents more active participation.

Chris

Hello Paul:

I am very much a novice when it comes to on-line learning and online PD...which is why I am so interested in learning what others are doing. SCoPE, at present, is my main source...and I'm just venturing out into other areas as SCoPE members post information about useful sites.

I can, however, see the potential in self-directed, informal, online learning within my institution. As our curriculum development model and processes are undergoing rapid changes, an opportunity to offer specific curriculum training for new (and even seasoned) SMEs exists. Busy teachers, not enough folks in Faculty Development...online might be the best way of offering just-in-time training...or partication in online seminars/conferences might just plant seeds for thought and further reflection.

So, unfortunately, Paul, I have no clear answer to your questions. I think those more experienced members of this seminar may have answers that can help us all.

Thanks, Chri9s

Hello:

(response to  Sylvia's August 21 (10:31 p.m.) post):

I participated in the Viral Professional Development seminar, and so I'm glad to see this session. Every organization has its informal networks (social and professional). It's not easy to quantify the learning that happens. Sometimes, learning shouldn't be/doesn't need to be quantified but it's helpful (if for no other reason than annual performance reviews) if there's some way to capture informal learning.

Sylvia, your comments and questions are helping me drill down and clarify my questions (if only for myself)….I don't have a clear vision of what a professional development collaborative would look like—and that's something I'd to understand and I'd like to know what it is about an organization that allows a PD collaborative to flourish.

Thanks, Chris