Posts made by Christine Horgan

Hello:

I should have caught and edited my own work before the half hour was up....I'll take another brief run at explaining myself about PLAR.

I said: "PLAR (prior learning and recognition) is, I think, ready to move beyond its current boundaries to process course grades from courses posted in the transfer guide. It is certainly an interesting option. Something else to think about when I'm walking the dog."

PLAR (which at my institution is Prior Learning, Assessment, and Recognition) appers--to me--to be somewhat stuck within the boundaries of (a) process course grades from courses posted in the transfer guide and (b)assessing, on a one-by-one basis, courses not in the guide. I know that PLAR is moving in the direction of portfolio assessment--long overdue from my viewpoint. If portfolio review and assessment (unfortunately, there's that evaluation piece) becomes acceptable, it opens up an avenue for recognition of informal learning.

I hope my colleague, Amanda Roberts, joins our conversation because she works in our PLAR area and she may have some interesting comments and thoughts to share.

Cheers, Chris

Susan:

PLAR (prior learning and recognition) is, I think, ready to move beyond its current boundaries to process course grades from courses posted in the transfer guide. It is certainly an interesting option. Something else to think about when I'm walking the dog.

Another might be declaration of informal learning in one's annual performance review document. It would be a way of recording the learning but without any evaluation. This could, of course, be followed up with a conversation with one's immediate supervisor. This approach would depend a lot of the nature of performance reviews at a given institution. 

Thank you, Chris

Hello: Learning is the goal....formal evaluation of informal learning (attending lunch & Learn sessions, for example) could lead to box checking and hoop jumping and gum flagging so a person's presence is noticed. Learning could still take place....but I would personally prefer to be left along to learn whatever it is I feel I need to learn

This is a very interesting topic....I can't say that it's kept me awake at night but a lot of my dog-walking time in the last week has including ruminating on the topic. Thanks,

Chris

Nellie:

I've been giving some considerable thought to what informal learning looks like....and there are, of course, several types.....but "what does it look like in post-secondary courses?" is what's rattling around in my mind right now.

So, again, hiding behind "electronic thinking aloud"....I'm wondering if evaluating informal learning is a task best left to the learner and that if there has to be a formal evaluation why not a learning contract where the learner contracts for a grade based on meeting several goals (which are determined by the learner).

Now, right away, I can start arguing the other side of this item...learning contracts aren't well received in all post-sec institutions, in some schools, by some faculty and administrators....and then there's the learning (formal or otherwise) that's required by faculty and learner to make the best use of a learning contract....still, I wonder if it's something worth exploring.

Chris

Nellie:

I doubt that formal learning can exist without informal learning. Perhaps informal learning is a bit like the white space around typed words on a page: the space has power because of it ability to shape our interpretation of and response to those very words.

However, some informal learning is incidental (or accidental) learner vs. purposeful, informal learning. As informal learning gets looped up into formal learning, the purposeful learner is going to show that additional learning in his/her work, but it's not going to be easy to measure. I'm also not sure that we should measure informal learning in any formal manner--but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Please look at my next comment as "electronic thinking aloud." Many learners don't actually know how they learn and yet that knowledge is powerful and valuable information. Some learners will take to journalling and critical reflection like a duck to water....and others will only come to value this learning after being introduced to it --"taught" how to do it, if you will. Perhaps, in addition to the items you mention in your closing comment, informal learning needs to include techniques for making use of informal learning.

Cheers, Chris