Discussions started by Jonelle Knowles

I had an idea for a discussion prompt but I have made some changes based on what I have heard in this space. Please see the lead in, followed by three iterations (A, B & C) of my discussion prompts. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

Lead in: (for use in all 3 scenarios)

When we are trying to decide which are the best markets to target with our advertising we start by dividing the people into groups based on certain criteria. We can segment markets geographically (east coast/west coast; domestic/US/Europe, etc; or by local community (Nanaimo & surrounding communities), demographically (age, gender, family life stage, income, occupation, education, religion, race or nationality), psychographically (VALS: Values, attitudes and lifestyle), as well as and perhaps most importantly behavioural and benefit segmentation (or how and why they use it: timing, frequency, benefits sought). Read the assigned pages on segmentation and look at the Behavioural segmentation document.

A. Original questions (too assignment like?)

Compare psychographic segmentation with behavioural segmentation. What are the similarities and differences? Which would be the most effective to use when looking at potential markets for the Discovery Room restaurant? Provide examples of how you would segment based on your choice. Are there any other segmentation methods you might use along with this?

B. Updated prompt with the request for supported response (perhaps a follow up to A, or stand alone)

Which type of behavioural segmentation will be most effective in identifying potential markets to target Discovery Room advertising to? What supported your decision, conclusion, opinion?

C. Final attempt, based on a comment about making it more personal for students (thanks Elena)

Describe with some detail, a recent time when you were a hospitality consumer (could be dinner out, hotel stay, flight, attended an event or even just ordered a pizza). Now create a list of behavioural traits, psychographic traits and geographic and demographic traits that fit you in that scenario that might be used in segmentation or a profile. (See pages 204-211 in your text book)

My example response (to include to guide or not considering Barbara's parrot comment)

For example last week I bought a bubble tea at my favourite tea shop and got a stamp on my loyalty card. I went my with my sister and niece after a hike in the trails. Currently the tea shop is only offering pick up service (social distancing in action) with limited seating on their deck (no inside service or seating). We cut our hike short to catch their happy hour special price and took our drinks to the waterfront park to drink.

Demographic: I am considered Generation X, married (dual income) with 2 grown Gen Z children and extended family near by.

Geographic: I live in the rural outskirts of a small town on Vancouver Island.

Psychographic: My husband and I both work in professional jobs (social class) and enjoy the outdoors: hiking, biking and water activities (lifestyle). While I earn a decent income I am value conscious and like knowing I got a good deal. (personality). Spending time with family is important to me and supporting a good cause or spending my money locally is also a priority (values).

Behavioural: While some people make a coffee stop part of their everyday routine, I limit mine to social outings (occasion segmentation), about once every week or two (usage rate). I am loyal to my favourite local businesses and usually join their loyalty programs (loyalty status). Right now I am very conscious of social distancing and I make choices based on safety and my trust in a service provider (benefits sought).

D. Discussion questions for responses to others (goes with option C)

Once you have posted your description and profile you will be able to view others' postings. Find 'consumers' with similar behavioural and benefit segmentation traits as you and suggest how this trait might be used by a marketer. Post your suggestions as a reply to their post. If you are unable to find someone with similar traits you may also find another with 'unique' traits and discuss how a marketer might benefit from identifying this type of consumer.