Posts made by John McLeod

Hi Everyone,

Again, we would like to thank you all for a wonderful three weeks! We really appreciate the level of interaction you provided for each other and the encouraging, supportive environment you created.

For all of you Facilitating Participants–kudos for taking the risk of stepping into a new set of skills. You all inspired us with your topics, and across the board, your preparation, flexibility in times of technology hiccups, and the approaches you used to engage us are much appreciated!

For all of you Reviewing Participants–Thank you for providing the Facilitating Participants such wonderful, constructive, and supportive feedback on their sessions. Providing feedback is an important skill in itself, and you provided such useful and practical feedback - as well as engaging in all of the activities with thoughtfulness.

We know that most, if not all of you are in a position to take what you have learned in this course and apply it immediately to your practice. You know what to do–practice, practice, practice! It is only through getting out there and making some mistakes (and recovering) that your online facilitation will improve. We are confident that you will all become exceptional online facilitators.

Thank you again for the opportunity to spend these three weeks exploring online synchronous facilitation with you. We both wish you the best of luck in your next steps!

Warmly,

Beth and John

Hi All,

Thought I would share the current poll results for this week's question, "How often do you reflect on your facilitation?" From the responses (14 so far), it looks like for those who have facilitated before, everyone has some level of reflection (Always, Usually, or Sometimes). I wonder how many of you are using a structure such as the 3-2-1, or other more structured approaches to reflecting on your practice. How do you reflect? Do you focus on what went well as well as what you want to improve? Perhaps you could share ways of reflecting that have worked for you?

Warmly,

John

Another interesting polling technique that I have seen (and used) is to ask a question where each of the options is 'kinda' right or wrong. This way after the poll responses come in, there is opportunity to ask why a question might be right and why it might not be the whole answer. It's great for addressing misconceptions or grey answers (in contrast to black/white answers).

warmly,

John

I agree, Khairunnisa, I think Stephanie has really created a nice scaffolded approach to helping students get comfortable with the tools that you would like them to use later in the course. A wonderful approach! You will need to monitor to see if you are hitting them with too many things at one time, but that is something that you can adjust on the fly depending on the skills of your participants.

Warmly,

John

Hi Karen,

One way that I have done it in the past is to put the actual question and options on a slide. I then use the poll with the options A, B, C etc so that I don't have to type them in on the fly.

Warmly,

John