Posts made by Derek Murray

Thanks Jennifer! I like the idea of having images and some text on slides and I would love to borrow your practice of showing these on a loop before class. Do you have audio? I am thinking about how to include some pictures in my video, so it's not just a talking head for 7 minutes. I also thought the inclusion of generations was useful. It helps to connect not just to a sense of time in place, but the connection of ancestors to a place as well.

I am not super familiar with converting PowerPoint to a movie, but is it possible to slow down the slide transition? I found it difficult to keep up.

Thanks Sarah! I hadn't thought to put the length of time I've been here (on southern Vancouver Island) in my acknowledgement, but it makes sense. How I experience this place as someone who has been here for a decade now (with four years in the middle spent over on the mainland), versus when I was a new arrival makes a big difference.

Hi Ryan,

I like that you added the personal element to the acknowledgement. I am curious about how this connects to specific workshops or classes. Do you have an example? For me, I find my acknowledgement is different when I teach a history course as opposed to leading a workshop for peer tutors.

Derek

Thank you for the feedback Dianne!

I think the question I am grappling with is around those occasions when the interests of Aboriginal title holders conflict with the goals of the broader social milieu and political powers. Pipelines are just one example. It's easy to make an acknowledgement when you do not see it as a threat to your own self interest. But when the exercise of Aboriginal title threatens powerful economic interests or even entrenched local customs, it starts to get messy.  "Returning the land" might not mean a transfer of ownership in a Western sense, but it might mean changing our relationships to the land in ways that some would consider positive, but others might see as a threat. I am also thinking about the Algonquin land claim that is going on in Ontario right now. It is happening in the place where I grew up and I know a lot of people there felt threatened that the land claim might impact access to private property (it likely won't, but there is that concern nonetheless).

Thank you for the reference to Decolonizing Landscapes, I will keep an eye out for their next Community Tool Shed event!