Posts made by Derek Murray

Thanks Kirk! The reminder that we are always learning is important. What I find especially challenging is doing that in the classroom context where I am supposed to be the "expert" teaching the students. Sometimes there are students who know more than I do about a particular topic, which is really cool when it happens. Acknowledging my own lack of knowledge puts me in a place of vulnerability which some would say is a weakness, but others would say allows for greater connection with students who may also be feeling quite vulnerable.

I am curious, do you always use the "campuses" language? This is something I've wondered about. Capilano has campuses on the territories of Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, Sechelt, Musqueam, and Lil'wat nations, but the classroom where I teach is on Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh lands. I usually refer to these two specifically in my opening, but then mention the others later. Does that make sense? How have others approached this?

I was inspired by this to reach out to one of our elders-in-residence at CapU to talk more about visitor protocol. We are going to chat soon. I'd like to know more about what it means to be a visitor (in this case) in Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish lands, and what are important protocols I should be following. One thing I learned recently was that the direction of a talking circle (clockwise vs. counterclockwise) is different in different places.