Discussions started by Gilly Salmon

Hi everyone, we've now got some Second Life Training Guides - one for students and one for SL-moderators. They're still in draft format, but we're using them to support for the first batches of MOOSE learners and moderators in learning related activities in the Media Zoo on SL. Please feel free to review them, critique them, try them out - the research is ongoing so all feedback is most welcome.
The guides can be found on the MOOSE blog:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/beyond-distance-research-alliance/projects/moose
Gilly.salmon@le.ac.uk
best wishes Gilly

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Tuesday, 20 May 2008, 08:05 AM -- Nothing serious -- just hyperlinked the Moose blog URL)

Hi everyone, many thanks for calling by to contribute to the topic of e-moderating in Second Life.

What I'm hoping we can do together is to identify the key competencies/knowledge/skills (consider those terms as loosely as you like)for SL moderating for educational purposes (my main interests are in higher and professional learning). And if we can get to it, the best ways of offering people development towards them.

not much really! So:

My thoughts :

1. I'd like to use the frameworks of the 5 stage model and e-tivities as short cuts- although they've been developed for text based asynch work, much will transfer, as they have into other environments (pod-tivities, wiki-tivites)

2. There are key skills from f:f and online synch moderating that will be relevant

3. There are issues that are unique to SL, particularly the role of the avatar and the nature of the graphical environment. Maybe others.

I've had a very first shot which is attached but please don't be constrained by it.

Perhaps you would comment on 1,2  and 3 above-(noting which in the title would be so nice ;) ) for starters.

Thank you Gilly