Posts made by Janna van Kessel

Thanks for your feedback, Leonne.

And, rookie mistake, sorry! The tool I used was Google draw. I starting using it a couple of weeks ago, but it seems very easy to add different shapes with text to create simple flowcharts or other visuals. And I appreciate being able to save as a jpeg.

cheers, Janna

Hi everyone,

My apologies for being a pretty silent learner in this micro-course as work spills over into evenings and weekends and as family spills over into the remain pockets of time and space.

I am new to online teaching/facilitation, but in thinking of my online experiences as a learner and my face-to-face teaching, here are a few ideas that I am mulling over.

- video introductions/activities (e.g., flip grid): I just participated in an activity in the FLO Fundamentals course and felt a great sense of connection with other learners after viewing their videos /replies.

- for online synchronous courses (or asynchronous courses with scheduled times), I see video-chat options to share, connect, and check-in during 'real-time' as valuable tool. In f2f classes, I like to create opportunities to hear from everyone in the room about themselves and a current topic or some aspect related to their daily life (not related to course content).

- Perhaps using Twitter, Facebook or other options for regular and informal engagement or connection as a community or for regular feedback to the facilitator (akin to Leonne's weekly check ins)?

Alas my other communities are using a more demanding voice, so I continue to ponder.

warm wishes,

Janna

Hi,

Leonne, I appreciate your checklist as a self-evaluation tool as well as a way for instructors/facilitators to gauge the need for support. I wonder if it would be helpful for learners to also see an invitation to ask questions or list any supports that they need in the comments section? I am new to online instruction, so am looking for ideas on how to support students in a proactive manner!

Colleen, thank you for sharing the CIQ. In f2f classrooms, I like to use a number of one-minute papers/muddiest point tools for feedback so I appreciate ideas for asynchronous, online courses!!

Janna

Hi Tara,

What a great idea and thank you for sharing!!

Do you ever have learners who are uncomfortable with or fearful of technology, don't use twitter/padlet, or other issues? If so, do you have any recommendations about the 'easiest' tools to integrate for learners, especially if the f2f or distance course is very new to them and they have limited experience...

thanks again,

Janna