Discussions started by Janna van Kessel

As with all FLO courses I found this metacognitive microcourse it immensely valuable for a glimpse into other courses/contexts, peoples' experiences and wealth of knowledge, better empathize and feel what it is like to be an adult learner balancing competing demands, and receive constructive feedback in a supportive environment.

Given that I borrowed my activity from a team member who runs workshops on this topic, I am inspired to follow-up with a discussion about language and engaging learners in a redesign. I would also advocate to be involved in workshop development where I could bring forward ideas and resources from this course.

As I am still catching up on all of the activity posts, I think about how I could have built in earlier work in these forums. Despite unanticipated events in our community that pulled me away from being more present online, I still feel guilty for not being able to respond more to others. Reflecting on this I wonder if creating an individual definition of what success looks like in this metacognition course would be helpful?

warm wishes, Janna 

Hi all,

Like Viviana, my science background did not make me as sensitive to the 'autopsy' exam review produced by one of our team members, but I was leery of the amount of negative language when exam assessments cause enough anxiety -- confirmed by FLO feedback that several things can change with this tool! This week, deaths in our community have impacted learners and others so I have reworded and hope to encourage colleagues that a switch to 'health check' or other terminology along with a redesign of this exam tool with learners.

That aside, I've built on some existing context as well as ideas about other related items that will be useful for our teams...

Note: use of this exam tool would follow more regular metacognitive activities in the class…

Post-FLO:

·       Continue with activities such as initial goal and action setting, practice/sample exam questions that match format and level of questioning (already done and revisited during the course), self-assessment tools, discussions about how to work through a process/break down a larger assignment

·       discussions about preparation for a (synchronous) class/ pause & reflect moments (on/off-task; expand one-minute papers like muddiest points – scaffold so learners develop questions)

·       process focused discussions, exemplars: showing the ‘sticky points’ (not always getting the right answer – this already fits well with science and math courses)

·       co-create collaborative activities such as study skill tips, reflection journals/discussion forums (start with guiding questions then have learners develop future guiding questions), rubrics for major assignments, student creation of exam questions, as well as a re-design of the following ‘heath check’ post-exam analysis

as well as edits to the exam 'health check' document itself (still a 'work-in-progress)!

Hi folks!

I work with learning strategists at Yukon College in Whitehorse where there are still a number of exams delivered in various courses. I am interested in feedback about either of the attached documents for post-exam analysis. The goal is to help learners consider their preparations, results, and reflection - there is a one page simplified version and a longer version.

I wonder if these focus too much on negative aspects and that there might need to be more room for written/visual reflections. Further, I feel that similar tools would be more useful if metacognitive strategies/activities are built into prior learning activities in the class (e.g., through guiding questions before getting to the 'cause & effect' of an exam evaluation - as per resource Helping Students Feel Responsible for Their Learning.).

Thank you for any feedback,

Janna

Hi everyone,

My apologies for being a pretty silent learner in this micro-course as work spills over into evenings and weekends and as family spills over into the remain pockets of time and space.

I am new to online teaching/facilitation, but in thinking of my online experiences as a learner and my face-to-face teaching, here are a few ideas that I am mulling over.

- video introductions/activities (e.g., flip grid): I just participated in an activity in the FLO Fundamentals course and felt a great sense of connection with other learners after viewing their videos /replies.

- for online synchronous courses (or asynchronous courses with scheduled times), I see video-chat options to share, connect, and check-in during 'real-time' as valuable tool. In f2f classes, I like to create opportunities to hear from everyone in the room about themselves and a current topic or some aspect related to their daily life (not related to course content).

- Perhaps using Twitter, Facebook or other options for regular and informal engagement or connection as a community or for regular feedback to the facilitator (akin to Leonne's weekly check ins)?

Alas my other communities are using a more demanding voice, so I continue to ponder.

warm wishes,

Janna