Posts made by Hillarie Zimmermann

Hi Gina,  Thanks for your comments.  I have been using Padlet with my students this year and I am finding it a very easy interface for them.  It required very little instruction and the students seem to be having a lot of fun with it.  In an online environment, I would likely provide some relatively detailed instructions for its use on the class website.  And of course, I would be available to the students should they encounter difficulties.  I might try this activity next semester as a "get to know your classmates".  Thanks again for your feedback!

For my community building introductory activity, I am going to encourage students to explore the origins of their own name and present that information to other students using Padlet.  Students will also be asked to introduce themselves to two other students in the class by making connections to each other's personal histories.  I would do this activity with my students in the first week of the course as a way to share where they come from and learn about each other. 

Instructions for the student:

For this introductory activity you will explore the origin and meaning of your own name as a way of placing yourself in the world and learning about other students in our online learning community.  Our names are given to us for various reasons and they help to define our personal story.  By sharing some of this story with our fellow learners, we can begin to create connections with each other and ground our discussions in a knowledge of where we all come from.

Steps:

1.  Create a Padlet account.
  2.  Recall your family stories of why you were given your name.
  3.  Research the origin of your name and its cultural significance.
  4.  Describe your personal relationship with your name and how it is to live in this world with it.
  5. Present your findings creatively using Padlet.
  6. Share your completed Padlet with the class.
  7. Introduce yourself and connect with two other people in the class by responding to their Padlet post.

To start us off, I have included my personal name Padlet as an example.

https://exports.padletcdn.com/v1/UpvvPYP8VEQcNw5I/b90180b96d25a663ec30090a9ad27a702449a114/png?cd=filename%3Dpadlet-b9a2bpyg5bov.png&delay=2500&full_page=true&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpadlet.com%2Fhzimmermann1%2Fb9a2bpyg5bov%3Flast_updated%3D1540873515%26locale%3Den%26read_only%3D1%26screenshot%3D1%26timezone%3DEtc%252FUTC&width=1024