Posts made by Hillarie Zimmermann

Here goes!  It feels scary to put my TPS out into the world!  Open to all feedback and comments.

Hillarie Zimmermann - Teaching Philosophy Statement

Learning can be uncomfortable.  As an eighteen-year old Canadian student, I found myself in South Africa pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in South African politics.  I have memories of my first class in Industrial Sociology in Southern Africa.  My mind spun.  We were asked to read documents from the South African Communist Party (1915-1980).   I was uncomfortable.  I was excited.  I was challenged.  Beyond the intellectual challenge, university was a fundamental time in my personal development.  I marveled at the adventure of being somewhere new.  I met unbelievably interesting people and I had personal moments of social and emotional discovery.  It was a time of great discomfort and a time of great growth.  There were so many factors in my growth – my engagement with other people, my engagement with faculty, my engagement with new information, my engagement with place.

Twenty-five years later, I find myself a teacher.  I find myself the facilitator of students’ self-discovery.  All students have such great potential.  I want students to take a risk.  I want them to think about their potential to change their own worlds and to change the world around them.  I believe that everyone can make a meaningful difference in the world, however small.  We do this by being curious.  By asking questions.  By reflecting upon what we believe to be true.  “Don’t believe everything you think”.  Challenge the world around you.  Education is a key piece of challenging the norm, of creating a more equitable society.  I like to model curiosity.  I am interested and excited by new ideas and multiple ways of knowing.  I want students to ask questions and challenge their understanding of the way things are. 

I believe that my role as a teacher is to create a safe and welcoming environment where students feel they can explore who they are, how they fit in the world around them, and how they can make the world a better place.  I respect my students as people.  They are people with a wealth of prior experience and knowledge and they have a lot to contribute to conversations.  It is the process of sharing that allows for growth.  I understand that sharing takes courage and I talk about the discomfort and vulnerability that I feel when I share my thoughts, feelings and ideas.  I too am human and want my students to see my vulnerability.

I see my role in the classroom as a facilitator.  I guide my students through a course in a collaborative and consultative manner.  I believe that my role is to provide an accessible course format, interesting and relevant content, and the opportunity for students to interact with myself, other students, and the content to discover new and interesting ways to look at the world.  I ensure my students feel supported and safe and I fundamentally believe that success is based on being open-minded, taking risks, and putting in hard and persistent effort.  I also constantly challenge my own beliefs and conceptions of what makes a “good student” and what “hard and persistent effort” looks like.  I believe that continuous personal reflection is necessary to ensure education is inclusive and open to all.

Class discussions are my favourite part of teaching.  I understand that every student learns differently and as such I integrate technology and aspects of distance learning into my face-to-face classes to give students a variety of options for interacting with the content, myself, and other students.  Engaging conversations can happen through a variety of media and I constantly challenge myself to increase the level of accessibility to these conversations.

Education is powerful in personal journeys.  I have an intense desire to support people in their personal journeys.  I understand that being a teacher offers an opportunity to be a small piece of this journey.

Great activity!  Unlike some of the other activities that have been posted in the sharing forum, I like that this activity has a forward looking component to it.  I would find the future looking information very beneficial as an instructor and could potentially incorporate some of this information in discussions and course content.  This information could also be key to building a community.  Students could potentially make connections in terms of career aspirations, life plans, interests, etc. 

Great activity!  It is short, fun, creative and would most likely provide some very useful feedback to you, the instructor.  A visual representation of where students are at is very cool!  I wonder what my students would post for the courses I am teaching right now (Business Communications and Theories of Communications).  I am super interested to find out.  I just might try this activity out with my students!  Thanks for the great idea!

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much for your comments.  I am not sure about my activity either!!  Funny, I felt much more connected to my name after doing my exercise.  I think I actually like my name more now!!

Some context for my activity - I work at Yukon College and the institution is focusing a lot on indigenization, decolonization, and reconciliation.  Instructors are being encouraged to incorporate multiple ways of knowing into our courses and consider how we might indigenization course learning outcomes, assessments, and learning activities.  I was inspired to build an activity that tried to incorporate an indigenous perspective on names and identity.  I tried to come up with an activity that was broader but still tried to link a person's name with their identity.  Not sure if I was totally successful, but it was sure interesting to think about!

Hi Colleen, Thanks for your feedback.  Your one comment has got me thinking .... How do individual activities (like this one) lead to community building??  I guess they focus on sharing and opening up but how do we move beyond this to actually building a community.  It is a very good question.  The tags that are being used in the Situating activity are interesting and it was fun to look for similar tags between the participants.  What are some other options??  We can ask students to comment on one or two other posts but sometimes this feels forced.  I am going to give this some more thought and see what the other participants in this micro course come up with.  I will get back to you with more thoughts on this later!