Posts made by Jamie Billingham

Hi Tara,

(Thanks for the link addition Sylvia).

I'm going to use this as a teachable moment - Because there are so many different devices and browsers to choose from it's becoming a good practice to add direct links to videos in addition to embedding - choice is good right! - It also helps if folks want or need to save for future viewing.

Lesson over.

So, Tara, thanks for the mini tour and despite what we know to be the "right" way to do talking head videos, yours worked. It worked because the audio was clear, you kept the pace up, and the length short. Nicely done : -)

Piggybacking on emma's post, I love the Faddy (or was it Faddie) idea. Very sticky - sticky is always good in learning. 

It's also an evergreen kind of topic. Fad diets like the Keto diet are not likely to disappear anytime soon so you could potentially use this kind of resource for several years. It also lends itself to easier-to-find visuals. With topics that are more conceptual the challenge becomes finding visual metaphors that work. You could use both visual metaphors and... I dunno... cartoon pigs... or more concrete visuals.

Looking forward to this one for sure!

First - Rachelle says:

Hello Emma,

I really like the topic you have chosen! 

I'm looking at creating an explainer video on Invasive Species Management.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on the forum.

Rachelle

I agree with Rachelle and no worries about dropping the post in a different forum - it's kind of like popping your head into a neighboring classroom on the first day of school, isn't it lol

I'm really excited by your topic. I have many cautionary tales in this area, so if you get stuck let me know ; -)

jamie

Hi Jacquie,

Your topic sounds really interesting and perfect for an explainer video (it's a concept that might be hard for some students to grasp, requires a common understanding, and isn't likely to change for awhile).

In reading your outline I can see all kinds of visuals that would help folks understand the concepts, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop : -)

By the way - I took the PIDP years ago and still regularly use almost everything I learned including Bob Aiken's handouts on brain-based learning and his broom and wine glass demo (I don't actually do that one very often cos it's messy).

Cheers,

jamie

Hello current and future explainers : -)

It's day two and we have a few awesome drafts posted in the Sharing and Feedback forum thread titled 1. Say Hello and Share Your Plan

Please don't stress if you're struggling a bit to answer all the questions or to get through a worksheet. The questions and the worksheets are prompts to get the process rolling so answering in your head is ok. If you can, let us know what your topic is or where you are in the process.

And... if you have some time, nourish your co-learners with some feedback on their drafts.

Snacks gif "If I don't have my snacks, I get angry"