Posts made by Jamie Billingham

Hi Rachelle,

This looks like a great topic for an explainer video!

One of the biggest challenges with any kind of visual medium is getting the visuals.

I'm assuming that photos or drawing of invasive species are pretty easy to come by so you'll have lots to choose from.

Another challenging bit with visual mediums is finding graphics that hang together. Have you decided on a visual style?

Cheers,

jamie

Looks really good emma!

I especially like that you have lots of question makes lol I think storyboards are the holder of questions and should be live and changeable.

I am curious if you had thought of trying a story at the very beginning? Or if you had thought of that but made a design decision to offer the story later on?

jamie

My opinion on this is that music in explainer videos is like seasoning. Use it appropriately and make the goal to make it unnoticeable.

The upside of using it is that it can mask some of the white noise that you can get in the background in voiceovers. Kind of like sugar masks the taste of medicine lol

Bumpers can be good too - I think - fade in and fade out music is a good way to signal learners - much like the sound and sight of the HBO fizzy screen or the sound of the opening credits of Game of Thrones makes me tingle with excitement (yup, I do love my TV). Bumpers are especially good if you are doing a series of explainer videos.

Another upside is that it helps evoke emotion - tempo and tone can change the mood.

Having said all that - like a good soundtrack - you shouldn't really notice it and a 2 minute explainer video may not need music to hold it own.

I'm curious about what other folks think about this????