Posts made by Susan Glynn-Morris

Hello All

I’m Sue Glynn-Morris, a relatively new Instructional Designer at Yukon College. I originally thought LS were new to me, however, as I read through the menu of structures, it was interesting to recognize some of them from workshops and other FLO courses I have been a part of.

As others have already mentioned, I too am curious to learn more about the variety of LS activities, and specifically how LS can be adapted to online, both synchronous and asynchronous, learning environments.

I have had the benefit of completing a number of FLO courses over this past year and I’m looking forward to the conversations this week. The peer learning (specifically seeing how others approach the tasks presented in the FLO micro-courses) has always been a highlight for me. This week I intend to both contribute and provide feedback to other participants.

Thanks all for the feedback. Nancy, regarding your question about pronunciation, you raise a really good point. I thought the same thing when I discovered the names in Ontario. As it is the approved acknowledgement for the Town of Richmond Hill I wonder if I could call the town office and ask? Further digging required! Thanks again. 

Depending on how an acknowledgement is said, I sometimes feel it could be perceived as token. I have started to appreciate when people deviate from the standard script by giving thanks or adding personal context. That said, to date, on the occasions I have made an acknowledgement, I myself have not deviated. I appreciate this course for helping me to start thinking about what that deviation may look like. The next time I have the opportunity, I might try something like:

I would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council.

I was born and raised in Richmond Hill, a town in Southern Ontario. I have only recently learned that these were the traditional territories of the Wendat, the Haudenosaunee, and the Anishinaabe peoples. My maternal and paternal great grandparents left Scotland in the early 1900s, in search of a better life for their families.

I want to thank the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and Ta’an Kwäch’än Council for allowing us to raise our family on their beautiful lands.

I was in a workshop last fall when I was first asked to situate myself in the world. It saddened me to acknowledge my lack of connection to my family history, but it also inspired me to identify my ancestral connections. The statement above would be very authentic for me, as choosing to move to the Yukon to raise our family on these beautiful lands was a very intentional decision.

Hi Nancy

I really appreciate the piece you included about the fact that you are "learning and grateful for the opportunity". I feel that there is real bravery in admitting that we are still learning and that it creates a space, and signals an openness, for conversation.

Thank you for sharing.

Sue 

Hi Tim

I really like your acknowledgement, in particular the part where you explain what you see as the meaning in your acknowledgement - that it is "a sign of respect and a signal of your hope that we are now on a path toward a better future of fellowship and reconciliation together". I would like to add something to this effect to my acknowledgement. 

Thank you.

Sue