Discussions started by Susan Glynn-Morris

Hi Bettina and Nancy

I'm going to give an online, asynchronous activity a try. I look forward to your feedback as well as to seeing the ideas you two are playing with!

Scenario:

The first asynchronous discussion forum in an online “Introduction to Project Management and Event Planning” course, which is part of a one-year certificate program.

Purpose:

The intention is to help students connect with the concept of Project Management - to see that we are all Project Managers, even if just informally. It’s also an opportunity to brainstorm what makes a project successful, to build connections in the course, and have everyone hear their 'voice' heard at the very start of the course.

Selected Liberating Structure:

1-2-4-All (Riff = 1-3-All)

Invitation:

Think back to a time you 'managed a project' or 'planned an event' - remember your project or event can be informal. What factors do you think contributed to its success (or lack of success)?

Space arrangement & materials:

Moodle discussion forum (standard forum for general use).

Participation distribution:

Everyone is included and has an opportunity to contribute equally.

Group configuration:

Start alone, then groups of three, then as a whole group.

Sequencing & Time:

• Think back to a time you 'managed a project' or 'planned an event' - remember your project or event can be informal.
  • Write a post in your small group discussion forum, briefly describing your project or event (3-4 sentences). Include how it went and list what factors you think contributed to its success (or lack of success) by Monday night.
  • In your group of three, review your peers’ posts and work together to compile one list of success factors. Have one person from your group share your collective list of success factors on the class discussion forum by Wednesday night.

Hello All

I’m Sue Glynn-Morris, a relatively new Instructional Designer at Yukon College. I originally thought LS were new to me, however, as I read through the menu of structures, it was interesting to recognize some of them from workshops and other FLO courses I have been a part of.

As others have already mentioned, I too am curious to learn more about the variety of LS activities, and specifically how LS can be adapted to online, both synchronous and asynchronous, learning environments.

I have had the benefit of completing a number of FLO courses over this past year and I’m looking forward to the conversations this week. The peer learning (specifically seeing how others approach the tasks presented in the FLO micro-courses) has always been a highlight for me. This week I intend to both contribute and provide feedback to other participants.

Depending on how an acknowledgement is said, I sometimes feel it could be perceived as token. I have started to appreciate when people deviate from the standard script by giving thanks or adding personal context. That said, to date, on the occasions I have made an acknowledgement, I myself have not deviated. I appreciate this course for helping me to start thinking about what that deviation may look like. The next time I have the opportunity, I might try something like:

I would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council.

I was born and raised in Richmond Hill, a town in Southern Ontario. I have only recently learned that these were the traditional territories of the Wendat, the Haudenosaunee, and the Anishinaabe peoples. My maternal and paternal great grandparents left Scotland in the early 1900s, in search of a better life for their families.

I want to thank the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and Ta’an Kwäch’än Council for allowing us to raise our family on their beautiful lands.

I was in a workshop last fall when I was first asked to situate myself in the world. It saddened me to acknowledge my lack of connection to my family history, but it also inspired me to identify my ancestral connections. The statement above would be very authentic for me, as choosing to move to the Yukon to raise our family on these beautiful lands was a very intentional decision.

My name is Susan Glynn-Morris and I'm an Instructional Designer at Yukon College. I am grateful to live, work and play in the beautiful traditional territories of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council. I apologize for my tardy introduction (it's been a busy week!). I have taken a number of FLO courses and learned so much. I am looking forward to this micro-course and learning along side all of you!

A fun fact about me... I LOVE picnics. Below is a photo of our Mothers' Day cookout on the Yukon river. 

This prompt is for a discussion forum near the start of an online Introduction to Project Management and Event Planning course. The intention is to help students see themselves as project managers (even if only informally) and start to think about elements of project management before diving into course content. 

Prompt:

While you may or may not think of yourself as a Project Manager (at least not yet!), we have all 'managed projects', at least informally, at one point or another - from planning a birthday party or family supper, to completing a group assignment for school, to organizing a move or renovation. Heck, sometimes just getting out of the house in the morning can feel like a project!

The point is, we all have experience with 'project management' and 'event planning'. The purpose of this discussion forum is to reflect on our personal experiences and think about what makes a project or event successful. 

For this post, I'd like you to:

1. Think back to a time you 'managed a project' or 'planned an event' - remember your project or event can be informal.
  2. Write a post briefly describing your project or event in a few short sentences.
  3. Include how it went and what factors you think contributed to its success (or lack of success)