Posts made by Grant Potter

Hi folks,

I am the eLearning Coordinator with the UNBC Centre for Teaching, Learning, & Technology and am looking forward to the discourse and Wave practice over the next 2 weeks. I have been using it to collaborate with small groups for meeting agendas and have used it with a computer science class in group note-taking exercises, but have yet to discover how it can be used as an intuitive tool to easily facilitate collaboration. In my computer science classes I used Etherpad ( http://etherpad.com/ ) to great effect ( which was subsequently bought by Google to be incorporated into Wave ).

EDUCAUSE recently released a book entitled The Tower and The Cloud that addresses some of the promises and pitfalls presented by resources that exist 'in the cloud'.

Richard Katz, the book's editor and Educause VP, indicates that the book is “a celebration of what is possible and what is becoming possible,” but also “a cautionary tale.” further adding that “...we don’t know really what happens when you make your infrastructure interdependent with Amazon or you place your data in the care of Google

Not all of the messages in the essays are cautionary - some suggest that cloud computing with challenge high education to become more open with their scholarship and resources and further facilitate OER movements.

They are clearly walking the walk with OER as the entire book is available as a PDF from their site.

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to building upon and extending some of the themes from the Fall ETUG workshop. Folksonomy continues to dramatically change and redefine how we make meaning online. The result is a fluid collection of perspectives - defined by the many - existing in 'the cloud'.

Looking forward to the discourse in this seminar.

Cheers,

The Turtle

I would vote for Seymour Papert and his microworlds that gave rise to the Logo programming language. Logo and Basic were the first two languages I began experimenting with in Grade 4 and 5 and the instilled in me a lifelong curiosity in the design of code. I have installed eToys on my son's XO - another programming environment for young people influenced by Logo - and see the same enthusiasm as he explores the interactions he orchestrates through basic code design.

Hello everyone,

I am UNBC's eLearning Coordinator and always on the lookout for both F2F and online PD opportunities. I try to leverage the multiple channels through which PD recommendations and referrals travel by maintaining a tab in Netvibes populated with RSS feeds, calendars entries, social networking channels, bookmark tags, et al. This provides me with a one-stop shopping overview of PD developments in a given area/focus.

I am looking forward to sharing ideas and insights during this Collaboratory.

Regards,

-Grant