Posts made by Jane Maxwell

I'll refine the LS activity that I started here (with help from the feedback received in my triad) and pitch it to my team for inclusion in our next course design workshop.

I would like to develop and facilitate a FLO-micro course, ideally sometime in winter 2020.  Start by identifying a topic.

I'm still wrapping my head around when and how to introduce LS as a tool for the very busy instructors that I support.  I'll spend some more time reflecting on this experience and see if I can distill out something that will work for our context.

Thanks everyone, and especially Beth and Leva, for thought-provoking week.  This is a wonderful community of teachers and learners, and I feel lucky to be connected with you all in this way.

I entered the course as a self-described "LS skeptic".  While I still have some questions and need to do more exploration, I've experienced an attitudinal shift and feel much more open and positive about the potential uses and benefits of LS for teaching and learning.

I don't believe that LS are appropriate for every situation (as mentioned in 'What?' I think some purposes just don't fit within the existing LS menu) and I still find the selection process somewhat overwhelming, but I will certainly use LS more often moving forward.

• I experienced (and enjoyed) my first FLO-micro
  • I saw first-hand how LS can be applied to the online, asynchronous environment
  • I had rich online interactions with a group of people with varying levels of prior LS experience
  • I wasn't able to find an LS that fit my original activity/goal of developing a self-situating activity :(
  • I got a bit lost in the LS menu, but emerged with some exciting new ideas :)
  • I developed initial plans for an LS-based activity that I think will add a lot to our team's Course Design Intensive workshop.

Thanks Ross and Michelle for your feedback!  

You've provided lots of helpful cues to help me refine this activity.  In particular, I appreciate your drawing my attention to how this activity will fit into the larger sequence of the CDI, and your suggestions for follow-up LS that could help translate the outcomes from this activity into more concrete plans/action for moving forward.  

I've added a few specific responses/ideas in the marginalia. 

Thanks again!

As promised, here's some additional feedback:

I'm going to focus on the goal that you identified in your final paragraph, where you say that you hope the activity will "point to easier processes or solutions to common challenges that we may not know even existed."

If this is the priority, I think it would be helpful to dedicate a few minutes to the process of identifying participants' challenges with using technology for learning.  Given the short time frame, perhaps it's a quick (5 min) round of impromptu networking as folks arrive (when you'd normally be waiting for stragglers)?  Or, you could have some challenges written on a whiteboard/sheet and invite participants to add their own as they arrive and add stars next to the ones that are relevant to them?  I know that time is TIGHT, but identifying a challenge that people are invested in will make everything that follows more impactful.

I do love the use of improv for this activity because it will allow folks to have fun and it definitely won't feel like just another meeting/workshop to add to everyone's busy day.  We're always trying to find ways to promote instructor wellness through our PD offerings and I think ideas like this can make a big difference. :)