Posts made by Bettina Boyle

Sue,

I love this idea of involving the class in developing the rubric and testing it on role plays! This activity in itself is bound to spur some valuable discussion on the value of input into group projects (which was one of Naz' intentions in this case).  I'm totally stealing it :-)

Bettina

HI Sue,

Great point regarding making space for specific feedback.

If I look at your rubric example with a student’s eyes, I may not be quite sure what would warrant a 1,2, 3 or 4 (did not meet, partially met etc.) for each expectation.

Putting on my educator classes I see a couple of ways you could make this a bit clearer:

1) Consider adding descriptors for each expectation and level as in an analytical rubric. This could also help clarify what expectations such as useful recommendations, fair share, showing respect etc look like.

Or

2) Stay with the Single Point rubric (It is simpler and easier for students), but try to move the expectations the centre column (“met expectations”) with space for comments on either side. Examples in this in this discussion. This would force peers to really consider and being specific about if a peer either did not meet or exceeded expectations. I like this, because it includes a level of accountability for the giver of the feedback, and it incorporates your point of space for feedback.

On a different note… Your question of how to share this feedback simply and anonymous made me think quite a bit and had me go back and forth a few times when thinking about my comments to you.

While anonymous may spur some honesty that wouldn’t otherwise come out, it also removes a sense of accountability from the person giving the feedback. And then I started thinking about how peer evaluation rubrics could be used non-anonymously and along the way, rather than at the end…

I am working on this myself at the moment with my class on Leadership in Teams. Peer evaluation is a part of it, but ideally, the teams are able to create a sense of trust and honest feedback throughout the term so there is no big surprises at the end. However, of course the reality is that this doesn’t always happen.

So in case this resonates with you - my question to myself has been, how can I coach and guide them to create such as space? What may be some formative assessments or check points that gets them use to giving and receiving feedback along the way – and allow students to correct behavior as needed?

Bettina

Hi Susan,

My impression is that this rubric clearly shows progression from one level to the next and that the verb forms and tenses are consistent.

Your question of progression between classes and rubrics is interesting and may be something often overlooked. If you look at the outlines, can you identify specific and progressive learning outcomes for each of 4 the speaking classes? And if so, could you look at targeting each of the 4 rubrics around those outcomes with the idea that the "Meets Expectations" column aligns with the intended learning outcome?

Bettina

Hi Daina,

This is such a great example of an analytical rubric. Nice!

It sounds like you already used the rubric for your assignment last year. I’m curious to know how you found it worked for you and for students?

A few comments for now:

I think - based on your explanation of the assignment - that this may be a group mark, but noticed that some of the descriptors refer to group work, but others to student and a few to students. Are students evaluated individually (on their participation in the group) or as a group (on their participation as a group)?

I also wonder what the rest of the critera for the assignment look like? It seems to me that you are actually already evaluating content and presentation (main ideas, reflection, creativity) in this rubric as well as group participation, which is mainly the group participation and effort row. Do you even need anything else?

Bettina

On a side note, I love how you let the students choose any medium to present their information!