Posts made by Bettina Boyle

Hi everyone,

I'm Bettina Boyle, Faculty and Educational Developer at Capilano University, North Vancouver. This year, I coordinated a Liberating Structures Practice group at CapU (with the great start-up help from Leva!) and I'm always excited to play with and continue to find meaningful ways to engage everyone with liberating structures in different context and with different people.

Big Question:

How may liberating structures support us in creating more meaningful and engaging online learning experiences? 

Give and Gets:

Gives: Experience facilitating liberating structures in the post-secondary context (with students and faculty). Experience designing and facilitating online (although not previously explicitly with Liberating Structures)

Gets: I'm curious about ideas for design, prompts, tools etc. in the online context that make the experience as "easy" and playful as in person.

Hi everybody,

My name is Bettina Boyle. I live North Vancouver - a short commute to Capilano University where I work. North Vancouver is on the traditional land of the Squamish, Musqueam and Tsleil-Waututh people.

I'm excited for another FLO MicroCourse. I love the practical short format and I am looking forward to learning with and from all of you on this topic of acknowledging traditional Indigenous Lands. 

Fun fact: I have two middle names I rarely use: Helth and Arnum

Helth means "hero" in Danish. It was originally a last name on my mom's side of the family and since became a middle name when my great grandma didn't want to give it up when she got married. Since then, all the women in the family have (and some boys and men) have had it as a middle name. I've passed in on to my own two daughters as well.

Arnum is the name of a tiny town in Denmark where my great great (great) grandparents on my dad's side lived as farmers.  See image below and click on it for details. And yes, Arnum was my last name before I got married :-)

Arnum, Denmark

It's Day 5, the home stretch of the course! We, the facilitators, are just amazed at what 5 days have brought. You are truly an incredible bunch of people!

home base

Here is what to do today:

1. Post revisions to your rubric based on the feedback you received - many of you have done this already! This could also be a more reflective post based on what you have learned or are taking away with you
  2. Continue the conversations with each other and look for connections (i.e. who else is doing something on "peer feedback"? who else is in nursing? etc.)
  3. Look for an email in your inbox with the called “Invitation to provide feedback” and complete the course evaluation (the email was sent Wednesday)

You may also want to check out this discussion and video posted by Christina, looking at rubrics from a student perspective!

Happy home stretch Friday,

Bettina

Hi Naz,

I am thinking about your question of whether to incorporate peer evaluation into students' grades or, make it a reflective piece without marks associated with it...

The difference may be subtle and may depend on your ultimate goal. I.e. are you (or the peers) evaluating their performance in the group OR whether your goal is for students to be able to reflect on and potentially adjust their behaviours over the duration of the term. If the latter, then the actual score does not seem as important as the discussion, reflection and actions that would come out of this evaluation.

I think your stated intention (making sure that students understand the value of their input into group projects) could be seen in either light. What do you think would work best given what you know about your course and your students?

Bettina