Posts made by Donna DesBiens

My facilitation context is a bit complex so I have decided to layer a few different personal and course introductions into the course Welcome and first week. 

At RRU, I'm the lead facilitator (and designer) of the Intercultural Foundations for Education (IFE) faculty development course.

Usually, this course is open to all faculty across campus. However, this summer I have been asked to offer a session for one program team only. So, I'm tailoring the course for them...  The program concerned is primarily delivered face-to-face, although the IFE course is online. 

So, I think I'll start with this text message in the online course hub: 

Layer I: Facilitator's Welcome

Intercultural Foundations for Education (IFE)
Facilitator: Donna DesBiens 

Welcome to IFE - Summer Session 2018! 

I'm very happy to work and learn with the BBA team about how we can help students expand their intercultural understanding…and how they can help us do the same. 

I’ve enjoyed conversations with some of you before and have been digging in to the BBA intercultural and global learning outcomes to prepare for our conversation this summer. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you better as individuals with your diverse teaching and learning perspectives and competencies.

Photo of Donna

This pic was taken by my 5 year old niece at  her birthday party last year. I love how she sees me compared to my work mug shot.  Too bad the text wrap around the image doesn't hold when one posts! 

Layer II: Personal Introduction Learning Activity (at start of Week 1)
FlipGrid - 90 second facilitator intro to model foundational intercultural teaching competencies of "awareness of one's own cultural and disciplinary identities, and positionality in the classroom" ... and invitation to participants to do same. (I have a script ready to share tmrrw. I also have permission to show a couple of great instructor demo exemplars to show in the actual course). 

Layer III: Course Introduction Learning Activity (at end of Week 1) 
Kaltura My Media - Slides with voice over & video image - A formal intro to the course that includes an instructor welcome and course overview with brief description of the 4 weeks activities. My slides are still rough but happy to share prototype tmrrw). 

Donna

I've been working on 2 scripts since getting home from the work office at 5:30 - one brief informal FlipGrid and one more formal 'full' course intro with slides, but am too tuckered out to actually do the videos well now, so will do them in the morning. (Who wants to see and hear a tired facilitator, even if a hat hides many sins?!) 

Thanks everyone who already posted. I did take time to view them and have some feedback for you... but won't offer that till I've posted at least one of my own videos. I figure that's the minimum street credibility needed here ;-)

Hey Robin,

I really did like your video, including the humour with the cool glasses and the outdoor view of Kwantlen.  Sadly, I became suspicious after watching Sylvia's "bad example" so thought we were to look out for tricks & issues. Thus, my comment about the circus music in the background.  

I'm going to use the Kaltura MyMedia option to make my own video because that's what we have integrated in Moodle at RRU.  Also, it's very user friendly, and has a captioning option. I agree with you about the importance of using multimodal channels/UDL for optimal accessibility.  

One of our great learning technologists here has mentioned that speaking in a measured pace  and enunciating clearly will really help accuracy in the auto-transcription of captions. I plan to do that this time... unlike my very first video attempt where I spoke like I might at a French Cdn family reunion, :-)

Hi Robin, 

Nice to e-meet you. I like the great outdoors and am a foodie too. I just discovered a great food scene in Victoria yesterday - a place called the Imagine Studio Cafe that has an intercultural dinner & conversation once a month. 

In this course, I want to make a great little instructor/course intro video for a 4 week online course in intercultural learning that I'm facilitating in July.  

In your video example, I like your informal, friendly tone and the bit of professional & personal information you shared. However, I think I'll skip the circus music in my own video and will sync the voice-over with the captions if I use them ;-)