Posts made by Caley Ehnes

Thanks for the feedback! 

I was going to ask similar questions in the second forum of this week, but I think incorporating them earlier (as per your suggestion) will help scaffold the learning outcomes. 

I will also think about getting students to ask questions in response to their peers's posts. I am feeling somewhat more confident about writing discussion prompts this semester, and I imagine I will be coming back to this class as a resource as the term progresses.

I love the idea of having students return to it at the end of the semester. You could also maybe ask students to respond to one of their peer's images (i.e. their favorite, the one they find the most interesting, etc.) 

Hi all, a quick intro. I am an English Instructor at the College of the Rockies. This will be my first semester teaching English Literature online.

I have a few discussion prompts related to one week's content and would love feedback. This prompt is more of an introduction post designed to get students thinking about the main concepts of the week. In this case, the main concept is the dramatic monologue and the power of speech. 

My main challenge is always encouraging interactions between students. My other prompt for the week will ask students to pose a question and to respond to one of their peers' questions.

Discussion prompt:

The silent auditor is a major feature of the dramatic monologue. This forum asks you to think about the auditor. Please compose a brief response (50-100 words) for each prompt in the threads I started for you. Feel free to respond to one another and to build on each other's observations.

Prompt #1: Describe your experiences listening to the poem? How did you feel? What stood out to you as you listened?

Prompt #2: Imagine you are the silent auditor of the poem (i.e. the count's representative). What do you think he is thinking/feeling as he hears the Duke's speech? 

The poem, if you are wondering, is the wonderful "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning (link: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43768/my-last-duchess)

I think this is a fantastic prompt, but I wonder if it might be more appropriate for a journal or reflection assignment? How do you see this building conversation/discussions between students? (This is something I struggle with as well!) 

As an aside, it might also be useful to link to potential image sites for students to access/use. This is a great time to introduce them to the concepts of copyright. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

The poem is always a risk. I will definitely think about that over the next week or so as I get ready to open my courses. Humor can be difficult to translate when you are not in a F2F situation. 

Thanks for you feedback about the eyesight. I usually work with PowerPoint images so it's not as much of an issue in course content videos.