Posts made by Jacquie Harrison

HI Sue,

I love how you have broken down the criteria for successful group participation! 

For the rating scale, I'm wondering if the expectations have been made clear to the students. For example, what is the expectation that students will follow timelines. How would you exceed the expectations? 

I always find it difficult to use criteria that is double barrelled. In the Quality criteria it says made a valuable contribution and produced quality work. I'm never sure how to respond if they did really well in one (made a valuable contribution but did not always produced quality work).

I like the badges, Doug! And, I think the holistic rubric was a good choice.

I was thinking about your question of motivation to move through the levels. In addition to the badges, I was wondering if a real world application would also be motivating. For example, in level 4, something like, This is a gold standard performance. Or "The client has all information needed" Level 3 - The client may have not have all needed information" Does that make sense? 

I think this rubric would give lots of valuable information to students about the expectations. It's a great teaching tool.

I was thinking it could be also useful for peer and/or self assessment. Students could write why the scored themselves there. For example, for the descriptor, illustrates key ideas.... They could find examples of how they did that. 

Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks for this post, Tara. 

You've inspired some great discussion!

I really liked the article by Jarlene Fluckinger in our Compilation of Resources.   (Or go directly here https://digitalcommons.unomaha.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1004&context=tedfacpub)

One idea that really stood out for me is how to get students involved in it. I like the idea of students not only rating themselves as either proficient or not yet proficient but also finding evidence of why they rated themselves like that. It's a great example of teaching students to be self-regulated. I can't wait to try this!