Posts made by Sue Hellman

Hi Naz. 

You've obviously put a lot if thought into this. I think the categories down the left are spot on. 

I decided to try taking the role of a student while I read through the rubric and found myself unsure of the distictions between (eg. in the last row): 'almost always', 'usually', and 'often'. If English were not my first language, it would be even harder for me to arrange from high to low. 

I (with my educator hat back on) wonder if collapsing from 4 levels of proficiency to 3 might make picking descriptors easier. Then, for example your last row might read: almost always (generally?), periodically (sometimes)?, rarely (infrequently?). That could make it easier for students to recognize behavior patterns. If your students feel that the middle ground is too big, you could involve them in developing a solution. 

You could also test the reliability of the scoring system by having the class use the rubric to assess several role plays (fun to get other instructirs involved) and compare scores. If there isn't enough agreement, they can be asked to pick differentiating words that work better. If you scored the scenarios as well, this would provide a way for each student to reflect on how to adjust his/her standard of work to better meet your expectations. 

You've made a good start here, but simplifying and involving class in developing the rubric can offer some advantages. 

-SueH

Hi Tara,

It could also be interesting to try to get everyone in a department to agree to use the same rubric. After all, what constitures good writing in a discipline shouldn't be that different from teacher to teacher or course to course. It would be interesting for students to know they're being held to the same standard of writing quality across all classes. 

This paper might be of interest. It examines the combining of rubrics with scaffolding of written assignments over a 4 year program. The rubrics are not attached but can be requested. Since the study is recent, the contact information should still be current. 

https://res.mdpi.com/societies/societies-08-00034/article_deploy/societies-08-00034.pdf?filename=&attachment=1